Tim's Reviews > There are No Children Here: The Story of Two Boys Growing Up in the Other America

There are No Children Here by Alex Kotlowitz

M_50x66
Jan 13, 09

Read in November, 2008

This book changed my entire perception of the power of journalism. Kotlowitz follows the lives of two young boys growing up in the projects of the near West Side of Chicago. I consider it a seminal book in my life. It was both heart-wrenching and mind-opening. The writing is smooth and thoughtful. It is exhaustively researched, and his access to the subjects just astounds me. That he could get them to trust him as much as they did is astonishing. Then the story he records just astounds. Before reading this book I would never have believed that life could be so destitute and hopeless for people inside the United States of America. It's informative without being preachy, too, which I like. It challenged many of my assumptions about government, birth control, criminal justice and gangs.

If I could give this book six stars, I would. A must-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There are No Children Here.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Drew (new) - added it

Drew Tim, You've made me a believer. I'm going to order it from Amazon today and read it. I'm taking a class called "Entrepreneurship in Education Reform" this semester, all about the inequality of the education system. The book should provide an interesting corollary. Hope school is going well!
Drew J.