Jacqueline's Reviews > Love at First Bite

Love at First Bite by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Dec 23, 13

bookshelves: author-sherrilyn-kenyon, series-dark-hunter, classified-novellas-or-many-couples, classified-series, genre-romance-paranormal, trope-alt-america-europe-setting, trope-angst-ridden, trope-at-odds-couple, trope-big-misunderstanding, trope-enemies-to-lovers, trope-estranged-couple, trope-fairy-tale-beauty-beast, trope-forbidden-love, trope-hero-across-the-tracks, trope-hero-alpha, trope-hero-antihero, trope-hero-deformity-scars-disabled, trope-hero-ethnic-flavor, trope-hero-job-business-man, trope-hero-job-self-made, trope-hero-job-warrior, trope-hero-knight-in-shining-armor, trope-hero-jealous-protective, trope-hero-recluse, trope-hero-scorned, trope-hero-smitten-with-heroine, trope-hero-tortured, trope-heroine-betrayed-by-hero, trope-heroine-captive, trope-heroine-ethnic-flavor, trope-heroine-hoyden-or-spirited, trope-heroine-job-lawyer, trope-heroine-job-owned-business, trope-heroine-on-the-run, trope-heroine-scorned, trope-heroine-tortured, trope-hilarity-within, trope-in-deception, trope-jealousy-runs-amok, trope-married-couple, trope-not-your-usual-conflict, trope-older-man-younger-woman, trope-opposites-attract, trope-perfect-banter, trope-pnr-adventure, trope-pnr-dark-and-dark-forces, trope-pnr-gods-goddesses, trope-pnr-good-v-evil, trope-pnr-hero-beast-shifter, trope-pnr-hero-begifted, trope-pnr-hero-cursed, trope-pnr-hero-guardian-warrior, trope-pnr-hero-human, trope-pnr-hero-nonhuman, trope-pnr-hero-psychic, trope-pnr-hero-vampire, trope-pnr-hero-warlock, trope-pnr-heroine-human, trope-pnr-heroine-cursed, trope-pnr-lite, trope-pnr-nonhumans, trope-second-chance-together, trope-shhh-its-a-secret, trope-siblings-or-family-within, trope-star-crossed-love
Recommended to Jacqueline by: No one; but the series was recomended to me by a kind saleswoman
Recommended for: Everyone! The DH series kicks major butt!
Read from December 19 to 21, 2013, read count: Four times now

Read: December 21, 2013
Read: April 1, 2007

So, I have to be honest with you, dear reader; I'm lying to you. Yes, yes, I'm a terrible human being for the lie, but it's quit necessary. See, I have you believing that I've read the entire book, Love At First Bite. A collection of short stories that I'm sure is amazing in its entirety, but my tiny sin is that...umm...well...I've not exactly read the whole novel.

I know! A tragedy, one even the Ponds will mourn. But! Ignoring this terrible oversight, I'm still ranking this entire book at five stars. Why? Because Sherrilyn Kenyon. Yep. She's bad-ass enough to merit an entire not-all-hers novel being awesome. Simply put, Esperetta and Velkan are made of win. They are two characters that pretty much yank your feels all over the place. Their story is insanely fast-paced (because duh, short story) but holy crap if it isn't spectacular.

Love is all lovey between our two leads, and if you like a tale of redemption and estranged lovers, your mouth is gonna drool over this one! ... Well, maybe not drool because eww, but trust when I say that Until Death Do Us Part packs one hell of a whammy. While the writing seems to give more reader-time with Esperetta than our hero, Velkan, the two definitely share chemistry, and the plotting is damned solid. In short summation, let's let Benny clearly articulate why you need this short story...

Yep. That.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love at First Bite.

Quotes Jacqueline Liked

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Just out of curiosity, can an immortal choke to death on a bagel? (Francesca)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Why did you marry him then? (Francesca)
I had no idea what I was letting myself in for. I thought he was a noble prince. I had no idea he was barely one step up from a monkey. I take that back and I deeply apologize to all the primates of the earth for insulting them. He’s not worthy of monkeydom. He’s a slimy slug trail. (Esperetta)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“After all these years of listening to you rant about Prince Dickhead, I want to meet him for myself. (Francesca)
Fine, but remember to avert your gaze from his. He'll suck the goodness right out of the marrow of your bones and leave you as morally bankrupt as he is. (Esperetta)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“A pox on both his testicles! (Esperetta)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Would you like tickets for tonight’s tour? (Andrei)
Like another hole in my head. (Esperetta)
That’s American slang for ‘no thank you. (Francesca)
Strange. When I was in New York it was slang for ‘no fucking way.' (Andrei)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Let me guess, Velkan wants to see me? (Esperetta)
No. The only thing His Highness would like to see in regards to you, Princess, is your disembowelment. (Raluca)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You are just so helpful, Andrei. (Esperetta)
I try to be, Princess. (Andrei)
And you fail with such panache. (Esperetta)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Keeping pushing, Andrei, and you and I are going to play a game. (Esperetta)
And what game is that, Princess? (Andrei)
Find the Ball in My Hand. (Esperetta)
I don’t see a ball, Princess. (Andrei)
Oh, you will, just as soon as I snap it off your body. (Esperetta)”