John's Reviews > City of Women

City of Women by David R. Gillham

Oct 07, 12

Read in September, 2012

I am a fan of historical fiction, especially those works centered on the World War II years. I found this book to be rather unique as it focused on the City of Berlin, and how the residents, especially the women, were horribly affected by the war. The city is under bombardment by the British, and the citizens are subjected to the unrelenting propaganda of the Nazis.

Against this backdrop, the main character, a young German, decides to risk everything to become involved with a small group of people trying to smuggle Jewish citizens out of Germany. The suspense is high throughout, and the outcome is uncertain until the closing pages.

Aside from the terrific plot, this work provides a chilling reminder of the horrific effects of Hitler's regime. The Gestapo were unchecked and unstoppable. No one dared to speak out against Hitler. The book serves as a warning to cherish our freedom and to be wary about propaganda being generated from any source, whether it be from politicians or the media. The book also raises questions of a personal nature, such as what would the reader do if faced with a situation of becoming involved in helping strangers or of just turning away from the abominable happenings. I think that this would be an excellent book club selection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Women.