Susan's Reviews > Murder at the Lanterne Rouge

Murder at the Lanterne Rouge by Cara Black

Oct 07, 12

bookshelves: mystery

This is the 12th in the series but my first read of Black's Aimee Leduc series. I've been to Paris three times, and it was great fun to read a mystery set there. Black takes great care with her Paris setting--not that I know enough about French policing or national security or Chinatowns to know whether she's got things right or not, but I know enough of Paris to be imagining my memories blended with her descriptions as I read. The city is a real character here, not just a setting.

Aimee Leduc is a VI Warshawski-like sort, although her absent mother is on a world terrorist watch list, so there's more intrigue layered into the sadness. Aimee is a powerful character--I wouldn't mind reading more of her. The writing here is decent; the plot just a bit over-the-top, with two layers (one about illegal immigrants and working conditions, the other about business secrets, against the backdrop of creepy higher ed practices that are the descendants of medieval guilds).

Worth a try, I think, for a nice weekend read, especially for Paris-o-philes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder at the Lanterne Rouge.