All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Guardians Of Stone

Dec 31, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia
Read in December, 2012

A kickbutt premise stumbling over the execution, anyone who picks up GUARDIAN OF STONE for adventure, mystery, and cinematic action will not be disappointed. While I was never quite swept away, I will certainly remember the mythology and ruins of this particular Italian adventure.

My biggest issue with GUARDIAN OF STONE was the writing style. Clenney gives us the story from both Jake and Kendall’s perspective, but their inner thoughts and back and forth banter supplants almost all other description. I love witty banter, especially between an oil and water romantic pair, but Kendall and Jake’s conversations with each other, hoteliers, and tourists diluted the quips and weren’t an effective way to carry the entire story. The parts of the story told from Nathan’s point of view had a more isolated, descriptive flavor, but that wasn’t enough to immerse me in the story (or get me attached to him).

It was ultimately the ruins and puzzles and ghosts that drew me through the story, and the ultimate mystery of Kendall’s past and powers. Unfortunately, those are questions that will be resolved later in the series, leaving this book a little flat. Fans of thrillers and National Treasure will enjoy the action side of things, but that wasn’t enough to get me hooked.

Sexual Content: Kissing, references to sex.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardians Of Stone.