Wendy's Reviews > What To Do About Alice?: How Alice Roosevelt Broke the Rules, Charmed the World, and Drove Her Father Teddy Crazy!

What To Do About Alice? by Barbara Kerley

Jan 13, 09

bookshelves: picturebooks, sibert-winners-and-honors
Recommended for: All BT folk, Iris, Beth
Read in January, 2009

Totally delightful. This story is funny without being cheesy. The text is sort of okay-to-good, and it pleased me by retaining most of its momentum even after Alice grows up (not many children's biographies can do that, which is probably why they published that whole series of Childhood of Famous Americans). But the pictures are terrific--they have a slight Jazz Age feel, and an amazing sense of movement (especially the picture of Alice in the library, and the dockworkers loading the boat full of her souvenirs of Asia).

It's hard to compare this with the pure gorgeousness of the illustrations in We Are the Ship, but I think these might be more kid-friendly. I'd be pleased to see it somewhere on the Caldecotts. According to a spreadsheet I got from Kathy Baxter, this got more starred reviews than any other children's or YA book this year--at least through November.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What To Do About Alice?.

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa This was one of our Barnyard Buddies books at the museum this fall. The kids really liked it too--didn't know it was on a short list for Caldecott.

Wendy Well, technically there isn't a shortlist for the Caldecott (or rather, the shortlist is top secret), and I don't know how much mock-shortlist attention it's getting... it doesn't seem to be one of the frequently mentioned titles. But I'm glad to hear your kids liked it--I thought, while reading it, that it was very kid-friendly.