April's Reviews > Once

Once by Anna Carey

Oct 09, 12

bookshelves: part-of-a-series
Read on October 08, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I have sat here for an hour trying to write a review of Once, the problem is that I’m not sure what to say about it. I loved Eve, but I’m not quite feeling the same love for this second book. Which I’ve found lately is how I’ve felt about a lot of second books in series I’ve read. It seems that authors are using their second book as a way to move the story along, it’s a gap filler.

In the start of Once we are a few months from where Eve left off, and Eve is safely ensconced in Califia. She seems to be making a new life for herself all the while still missing Caleb, and maybe even regretting leaving him a little. For a few short moments we are introduced to a couple of new characters, the women of Califia, but soon Eve is reunited with Arden. I was happy to see that Arden had survived and they were back together. That was short lived though as we found out that the woman of Califia weren’t really happy to have Eve there, as they talked about using her as a bargaining chip with the King of the New Americas.

I wasn’t too surprised when Arden and Eve decided to make a run for it, especially after someone said they saw Caleb in the city. I was a little shocked to find out it wasn’t Caleb but some guards who were there to take her to the City of Sand. The fact that they took Arden back to the school first bothered me, especially when Eve saw Ruby and Ruby was barely able to recognize her.

My biggest shock came when Eve finally met the King. Their relationship shocked me, however it didn’t shock me as much as it did to find out Caleb was inside the walls of the City of Sand, or Las Vegas as we call it. Eve and Caleb wanting to be together and finding a way to be together was nice, but maybe a bit rushed.

When Caleb gets arrested for the murder of the two guards Eve killed in book one, I was very sad, but then for Eve to make the sacrifice she does, only to find out that King didn’t do what he promised saddened me, and the end of the book made me mad.

I’m not going to anxiously await the third book Rise and pray that it actually gives us the happy ending that these characters deserve.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once.