Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*'s Reviews > Gone

Gone by Michael  Grant
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
886144
Well, I'm trying to write reviews more often. But I don't have anything to review today, so this will be one of my days where I revisit one of my old reviews and try to like ... write it in proper English. Since, a few years ago, I wasn't very good at doing that.

So, obviously, I didn't care for this book. I remember seeing it around in book stores a lot, and thinking it looked kinda cool and mysterious. And it sounded like an interesting premise––the adults just disappearing and whatnot. You know, that whole plot line where there are no adults and only kids, and then Lord-of-the-Flies-esque violence ensues. (Still pretty cool, even if it's a cliché.) Also I heard a lot of good things about it, so I decided to give it a try.

Pretty much right away, I had a feeling this book was just not going to do it for me. The first thing I had issues with was the writing style. There were a lot of fragmented sentences with not much purpose, which is one of my biggest pet peeves. It was also just very "telling" rather than showing, which is another thing I always find problematic.

Another issue was all the characters there were to keep track of. Having a few main characters is all right, so long as they're all thoroughly developed and interesting. In this book, I felt like there were too many people and that they weren't distinct enough. At first there were several different story lines, and it was confusing as to how they were related to each other besides the fact that they took place in the same world.

Furthermore, I felt like the author took too much plot into his hands. He added too many plot twists and characters into the mix, until it was a bit too chaotic. There were the adults disappearing, people getting superpowers, talking animals, people growing tentacles out of their dismembered limbs... I remember describing this book to my friend and she was like, "Um ... this book sounds unhealthy."

In the end, the only thing that kept me reading was a mild curiosity to find out if the plot would go anywhere or if anything would be explained. Instead, it dragged out for too long and nothing was resolved at the end. At the time I read it, I didn't know there were going to be six whole books. And, well, this book didn't leave me feeling patient enough to sit through five more volumes just to get some answers. I didn't feel like it was worth it, so I gave up after this one.

A BRIEF UPDATE:: Due to all the similar comments I'm receiving on this review, allow me to make one thing clear. I AM NOT GOING TO READ THE REST OF THE BOOKS. If that makes you upset, sorry. But I'm not. I have a shit-ton of books I want to read/finish and the remainder of this series is just not on my list of priorities.

Yes, I know not everything is going to be solved in the first book. But at least some loose ends should be tied up so that each individual book is still satisfying as a standalone. At the end of this book, I just felt like the author had thrown in a bunch of strange plot twists and left the reader with too many questions. Sure, suspense is a good thing to a certain extent, but not when it's overbearing in comparison to the telling of the actual story. Look, I love series––but I love series where each book is its own story while also being a part of a bigger picture. Whereas, I felt like this was just a snippet of an unnecessarily long story without having its own unique story within it. Maybe you like that kind of story, but I don't. All righty?

And it's more than that. Even if it did feel like a complete, satisfying story, I just didn't like anything else about the book. I didn't like the style, I didn't like the characters. Those are things that won't change in the next books. I'm sure more questions are answered in the later books. I know how series work, I'm not a moron. I simply don't feel compelled to read the rest of the series because, well, frankly ...



You're entitled to your opinion. If you love this book, and this series, good for you. I personally disliked almost everything about this book and that is a solid reason not to continue with the series, especially when I have so much else to read. So, please. Stop telling me to read the rest of the books. I'm not going to. I agree to disagree with anyone who likes this book, and if you can't do the same for me ... well, you're just being immature.
131 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-50 of 117) (117 new)


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* that's sorta what bugged me about it. i was like *yawn* when is this going to get explained and end already??? it didn't need to be dragged out so long. and then IT'S STILL NOT OVER?! i just don't think reading the sequel would be worth it. i'm already bored.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* exactly! at this point it's just like, "what, am i going to have to read ANOTHER book like this -- and you're STILL not going to explain it to me?" sooo i don't think i'll read it. ><


Lunabell I'm currently reading it, and I see what you mean... but it's still better than no book :) I, personally, will read the sequel because I REALLY WANNA KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!!!

Wait... they don't explain everything at the end? NOOOO!!!


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* no they don't explain ANYTHING! it's so annoying!


Summer I read the sequel first. I didn't find it overly fantastic either but there was some of the open ended stuff in the first book solved I believe. I don't think Grant has a game plan at all for finishing off the series. Sort of spoilery, not too: All that's kind of going on is kids getting more extreme powers like dream reading and such. Oh, and there's aliens involved. I really have no idea how he's going to tie this all together into a pretty package. But your right on all points so far. Good review!


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Yes, I understand that it's a series. My point is, I don't think it's good enough to be a series. So if it had all been tied up in one book, it would have been a bit more tolerable. But to read the whole stupid thing and then find out, "Oh, I have to get through five more books of this to find out the answers?" It's like, "No way!" You know what I mean?


Carly I SO agree! I was so bored with the whole thing. Wayyy too long.


Nirene Wow, I love this series. I guess if you don't like it then that's your problem, but I thought it was interesting and it does tie together. And it is NOT cliched. At least there wasn't unrealistic love and vampires running around. So what if it was like Lord of the Flies, no book is completely unique. If you want to see a crappy book read Mockingjay or Breaking Dawn or something like that. It was different from anything I've read and it kept me interested. Books aren't supposed to wrap everything up at the end because otherwise you wouldn't want to read the next book in the series. i understand some of it was a little strange but that makes it more interesting. I respect your opinion I'm just saying.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Nirene wrote: "Wow, I love this series. I guess if you don't like it then that's your problem, but I thought it was interesting and it does tie together. And it is NOT cliched. At least there wasn't unrealistic l..."

I've read both Mockingjay and Breaking Dawn ... and I agree, neither was very good. Neither was this book, in my opinion. I'm not saying that any book is completely original. In fact, a book with a clichéd plot can still be great, if it's executed well. The lack of originality here was only the beginning, which is the only reason I point it out. And yes, I know the first book in a series isn't going to tie everything up––but the fact that I didn't feel compelled to read more made me feel like it should have been wrapped up in the end. If the first book already feels much too long and rambling, I can tell the rest of the series is going to be a mess.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Rachel wrote: "Maybe your on drugs. Sorry, that was harsh. But seriously, this book is my favorite and i don't see many of your points. Of course th characters might be immature( but i disagree with that), they'r..."

Yes, maybe I'm on drugs. Obviously, everyone who disagrees with you MUST be on drugs. For the record, I immediately lose the respect of anyone who insults my intelligence solely because they disagree with my opinion.

I don't think it's "wussing out" just because the first book bored me to death and I don't want to read the rest of them. The first book is supposed to make you want to read more, correct? But I didn't care about the plot, I didn't care about the characters, and the writing gave me a headache. I don't see why these aren't valid reasons not to stick with a series. You're entitled to your opinion of course, and if you love the series ... good for you. But I don't like these books. The end.


message 12: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan Rachel doesn't even have any books on her account.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Ha! Good to know.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* In fact, looks like the only thing on her account is her harassing anyone who dislikes this book. Maybe she's Michael Grant in disguise ...


message 15: by Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* (last edited Apr 25, 2011 04:16PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* It's okay. But geez, that bit is an exaggeration. I know the book was not written like that, but I was comparing to, say, a 13-year-old describing the plot of a bad sci-fi movie (which, in my opinion, is what this book is like). I'm not stopping Michael Grant from doing anything; if he thinks talking coyotes are a great idea, woohoo good for him. He's allowed to do whatever he wants, yes. But I'm also allowed to think that his decisions are a bit ... well ... silly, for lack of a better word.

*Rolls eyes* Yes, I know that's a run-on sentence. But this is an INFORMAL REVIEW while Gone is a PUBLISHED BOOK and therefore should not be full of grammatical errors. Catch my drift?


message 16: by Kevin (new) - added it

Kevin I have to definitley agree with Brigid. I mean, insulting her opinion...thats just not right? She has the right to think whatever she wants about this book and quite frankly, I find this book interesting, but Brigid makes some seriously valid points...the book is like a twisted plot made by a 13 year old. It is very random and jumps to things... not to help with the mystery but to help add more drama when the reader is sitting there going "I BEG YOU, TELL ME WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!?"


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Yes, of course he has an editor, but they wouldn't change his fragmented sentences if they felt it was a stylistic choice of his––or if they think it will appeal more to readers with short attention spans, or something. But in my opinion, it's a rather lazy and annoying style.

I get defensive of my favorite books, too. But there's a difference between being defensive and being abusive––and I think going through all the reviews of your favorite book, and angrily ranting on every bad review, is verging on harassment. I'm sure I've unintentionally insulted someone's opinion before, but I don't attack people or imply they're on drugs (even jokingly). It is difficult to comprehend, sometimes, that people dislike my favorite books, but I also accept that everyone has different opinions and there's no right or wrong. I don't see why that's so "weird". Some people will like a book, and some people will hate it. It doesn't necessarily have to do with the quality of a book; it has to do with readers' taste.

Yes, I know a lot of young aspiring writers get ideas with "what if?" questions. My point is that, Michael Grant is an adult and so should not have to resort to such techniques, since it's amateurish. If you're starting out as a young writer, it's fine. But if you're an established author trying to get published, you should probably be waiting for good inspiration, and not forcing out ideas just to add "plot twists".


Scarlet ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Yes, of course he has an editor, but they wouldn't change his fragmented sentences if they felt it was a stylistic choice of his––or if they think it will appeal more to readers with short attentio..."

Well said, Brigid. I agree with your review, be it exaggerated or not. I didn't care for the writing, the characters, and the plot was interesting, but still somewhat random and ameteurish. I still need to write my review for Gone, which hopefully I'll do sometime soon.


Nirene Um, I'm not sure how all this arguing came about. It's just Rachel's opinion- and maybe she was just being harsh at first because she was joking, having a bad day or already angry at the time. However, it's not that important because she apologized and took back what she said about drugs. I think it is unfair to call someone you don't know abusive just for defending an opinion they feel strongly about. If anything, the other commenters are being harassing for ganging up o her after she's apologized and made a valid argument. Maybe she didn't have any books on her list because she was new to the site or was too busy reading to add a bunch of books to a reading list. Everyone says things they wish they could take back and I don't think you should judge some one based on that. Is she really such a monster for supporting her favorite book that everyone starts looking for how many books she has on her list? I'm not saying Brigid is wrong in her opinion, I'm just saying no one should judge Rachel based on her opinion after her apologies. This has nothing to do with my own opinion of the book- if it were Brigid being ganged up on I would say something for her. Sorry if I offended anyone somehow and I'm sorry to Michael Grant for having this occur on a book review of Gone.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Nirene wrote: "Um, I'm not sure how all this arguing came about. It's just Rachel's opinion- and maybe she was just being harsh at first because she was joking, having a bad day or already angry at the time. Howe..."

I have nothing against people defending their opinions. Of course Rachel and anyone else has a right to their own opinion. But if someone is going to defend their opinion, he/she should have a valid argument. "Maybe you're on drugs" and "you just wussed out on reading all the other books" aren't valuable opinions, if you ask me. Perhaps "abusive" was too strong a word to use, but Rachel wasn't just politely disagreeing with me, which would be the proper thing to do. And just because some other people share my opinion doesn't mean they're "ganging up" on her. I don't see anyone telling Rachel she's on drugs, sooo I really fail to see how she's the victim in this situation.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Rachel wrote: "I was new to the site at the time and I didn't feel like trying to remember all of the books I've read. I'm still working on that.

And I find it 'weird' only because I like this book so much an..."


Thank you––this is much more of a valid opinion. At least in this case, you attempt to understand my point of view. Your failure to do so in your first comment is why I was offended.

But you're right, arguing is pointless. Just be careful about how you phrase your arguments in the future. Sure, something might seem like a "joke" to you but could be hurtful to someone else. After all, sarcasm and tone of voice are nonexistent via the internet, so you have to be careful about what you say. So, of course, misunderstandings can occur. It has nothing to do with whether I can take a joke or not. I consider myself a very easy-going person, but I don't like when people judge my intelligence just because I disagree with them.

So, sorry for any misinterpretations. I understand you were joking, but like I said ... you might want to think twice next time you "joke" with someone about their opinion.


David jones When I read it I liked it. I like the characters and the way it was like an action movie. But like everyone says I hated the writing because it was like a 50 year old man trying to write in the style of a thirteen year old and it just didnt work well...the writing is the worst part but I still might read the other books in the series.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Fair enough. I understand the action-movie appeal, but it's just not the kind of thing I like to read. If I want an action movie––I'll watch an action movie. I don't really want to get it out of a book.

I agree with that. I felt like he was trying too hard––or possibly not hard enough. Either way, it came off as very dry and amateur to me. Also I'm a little put off by the author himself, since I saw he'd argued with some Goodreads user's review, about the content of his book. She'd complained it was too dark and he said something about how kids don't get scared, which I think is a bit condescending––like oh yeah, give kids blood and guts and they'll be happy! Maybe some kids enjoy that but I know I didn't, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So, I guess it's partly a matter of taste. But I just don't agree with him. And I also don't think it's really polite for authors to comment on reviews of their own books...

There are what, six books in this series? Haha, I don't think I could sit through all of them. O_o


David jones I get what you mean. I'd rather have a book written in the point of view of a teenager and it actually makes sense, like lets say The part time diary of an American Indian by Sherman Alexie. That was an excelent book that was written in the POV of a teenager and it was really good. But yea. He is an old guy trying to write as a thirteen year old. It just doesn't work.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Yeah. Like I said, I find it kind of condescending. I can't stand when YA authors write lazily just because they seem to think they'll get away with it, and that kids will just read anything. (Unfortunately, it's kind of true ... but still.)

You mean The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian? I haven't read it, but I've been meaning to for a long time. I've read some of Alexie's short stories and he's an excellent writer. :)


David jones I do mean that. It is a great book, I think the best I have actually had to read for school. It is awesome, kind of sad and funny. You have to read it.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* All right ... will do! :)


message 28: by Shep (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shep Well good things come to those who wait. Thats all i can say and the characters all came together. I guess you're not into sci fi so you really shouldn't have touched it but giving it 1 star cause you didn't like it is harsh as hell.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* In my opinion, that saying doesn't really apply to readers. An author should be able to grab the reader's attention and keep it, and that book did not do that for me. I'm "not into sci-fi" because I didn't like one sci-fi book? Definitely not true. Some of my favorite books of all time are science fiction. And the reason I picked it up was because I actually do like sci-fi and thought it sounded interesting. It's not my fault if the book was a disappointment to me. And it's harsh to give a book one star if I didn't like it? What was I supposed to do ... give it five stars because I didn't like it? Perhaps you should write your own review defending your opinion, and not troll on others' reviews just because they disagree with you. Have a nice day.


Creator i believe that you should give the book another try, later all the odds and ends come together at the end . i kept going until i was litterally dieing to read more. Question that are left unanswered , are answered in the secound ,third and fourth books.
ifind it annoying to force an opinion out or say your "ur like totallly MAD if u don like my fav book " i belive in opinions even if it is a dish on my favorite book . Give it another try. The author later makes the charcters more 3 dimensional by creating personality in there thoughts actions speech and over all personna . But then i am a 13 year old girl , and i haven't read "literary works" like pride and predjudice , but theese book are really good amd deserve another try read until lies before giving up the seires completely.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Hi Janvi. Well, I appreciate that you respect differences in others' opinions. And I understand more questions get answered in the next books. Perhaps you're right, and the characters and plot develop more after the first book. However, I feel that the first book in a series should really grip me and intrigue me, and this book just didn't do that for me. I simply felt no connection to the author's style or the characters he'd created, and I don't think a second reading would change that. Maybe I'll eventually try the other books, but as of now I don't feel particularly compelled to do so and I just have too many other things I want to read.


message 32: by Shep (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shep I AM not a Troll. You happen to be the first person I ever felt compelled to respond to on this website(been here for 2 years) or any for that matter. I highly suggest you look up the definition of troll. The reason it was so harsh you gave it 1 star is because you had a slight curiosity to read it to the end. The book isn't long. It's a normal size book when you take into account that the font size is big and the spaces between sentences are wide. You also didn't like the fact that the writer had too many plots but at the end we find out the reason why and so do you. It wouldn't make sense to have just introduced random characters into the middle of the story without introduction or a backup story. The writer is simply creating a set up. Saying "nothing was resolved" makes me doubt if you finished the book in which case i wouldn't have a problem with. Some books you just pick up and you can't finish. They resolved quite a bit in the end. They solved what caused the FAYZ. They figured out why some kids had their superpowers. They figured out what happens to kids once they reach 15 and how to stop it and again we know the reason why animals are turning weird. We figure out what happened to sam's Step-Father.

I don't dislike your review because it's 1 star. I dislike the review because what you say in the review doesn't match up with a 1 star.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* So perhaps our definition of "troll" is not quite the same, but I consider trolling to be when someone makes a comment pretty much just to annoy someone else. And I feel like that's what you're doing, seeing as you can't seem to accept that I disagree with you. You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. There is absolutely no point in you commenting to tell me I'm reviewing something wrong. It's not like you're going to change my opinion or cause me to make changes to my review. I reviewed the book ... I'm done. I'm not changing it.

No, it's not the longest book in the world taking into account the things you pointed out. But it did seem to go on for too long, at least for me. I felt like the plot was wandering and that it could have been cut down a lot more.

I did in fact read the entire book. And yes, a few minor things were resolved, but for the most part the reader had just been given questions and not answers. I understand setting up the plot of a series in the first book, but I also feel that a first book in a series should be enjoyable as a standalone ... and to me, this book wasn't enjoyable.

What do you mean? I didn't like the plot, characters, or writing in this book. I thought it was over all rather clumsy and unoriginal. I don't see how that "doesn't match up with a 1 star."

By all means, write your own review expressing your own opinion. But don't go around to other people and tell them how to review. It serves no purpose.


Adeeb omg...this is one of my favorite series ever, i hoped u wudve liked it, but since u didnt, whatever :) maybe u can like other awesome stuff


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Haha, indeed I can. :] If only other people could have the same perspective as you, Adeeb ... *huffs*


Adeeb oh...IGNORE! xD some ppl get so aggressive when they love something, i mean calm down ppl, its a book! i could go HATE harry potter (not that i do haha) but yea everyone has their own opinion :)


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Tell me about it. People get absolutely rabid over things they love, and then think it's okay to lecture other people for disagreeing. I don't get it, really. Opinions are opinions. ;)


Adeeb haha, i can debate u know and i do try to convince ppl to like something, if they dont, not my problem, their problem! Just seriously dont listen :D


Adeeb i actually wanna read the comments, its two pages long haha but busy now...i will check it later


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Ha yes, I try to be convincing also. But I don't really try to change people's minds. Everyone's usually pretty set in their opinions. I know I am ... and in my experience, trying to convince someone to completely change their mind is utterly pointless. XD

By all means, read all the comments. Mostly it's just people making fools of themselves and me owning them. Aw yeah.


Adeeb brigid, have u reviewed this a long time ago? because im going thru the comments and i feel ive seen each and every one of them before


Adeeb to everyone:

and ok, I have to say breaking dawn is pretty bad IMO, it wasn't my cup of tea, but i dont think that people here should offend that either. There are people who LOVE that series.
As for Mockingjay, I LOVE IT SO MUCH! SO SO MUCH! Go on hating it, it doesn't matter. That's what Goodreads is for. Express yourself. Give it 1/5. Write why you hate it with reasons.

Everyone has a taste in something. This is a community for people who love books. If someone offended a book I like, and didn't give me a reason, I'd get mad! Also, if you hate books and offend the book I'm reading just cuz u hate books then I'll be supermad.

But here, we're fighting on a general thing. LOVING BOOKS. Everyone is entitled with their opinion.

What I'm really trying to say is:
You don't always read what you love. I try to pick up ones I'm likely to like. Yes, I check out the blurb on the back, and it does seem my cup of tea.
Let me give you an example: I was quite interested by Maximum Ride series and got the first two books, read them. I liked the first book, and I didn't like the second book. It didn't leave me wanting to read more. So I stopped buying it and I don't plan to continue the series.
Does that make me a bad reader? no. A bad reviewer? No again. That's what happened with Brigid reading this book.

Oh and let me tell you one thing: I AM A HUGE FAN OF THESE BOOKS. GAVE ALL 5/5 STARS EXCEPT FOR LIES 4/5.

To end this, I'm not saying don't discuss. I'm saying don't be rude and fight with people. I'm sure Brigid wouldn't mind you talking about your point of view. Even if you try to convince her to read, you can at some points. State facts why she should, maybe she is wrong afterall. The final decision is upto her.

Thanks for listening, and please Brigid, respond to this ESSAY I wrote lol. If I'm wrong about something, please correct me


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Yeah, this review is pretty old. So maybe you've seen it before. XD But I've revised it a few times since I first read it, so most of the comments are probably in response to an earlier version of the review, but ... it wasn't all that different. Just not as well punctuated and whatnot. :P

Yes, I totally agree. A lot of people don't seem to understand that sometimes, you pick up a book with high expectations, and the book just does not meet your expectations. It's not the reviewer's fault if a book is a disappointment and/or just plain bad. It's impossible to like absolutely everything.

I also agree about Maximum Ride. I liked the first book, and the second and third were okay ... after that, the series just went downhill. Like I said, some books are just disappointing.

So, thank you for your "essay." Haha. :) You're totally right. Everyone has their own point of view, and I respect that. I just ask that other people respect my opinion in return. It's not like this review is personally attacking anyone; it's just my point of view.


Adeeb yeah...
ur most welcome :D

anyways ive gotta go finish pretty little liars haha


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Haha okay, have fun! ;)


Megan Lew sure, I totally loved this series, but I'm not going to tell you to get a doctor just because we don't think the same. I think that it's great that we have out own opinions-after all, that's what makes book reviewing fun, right? :)


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Haha, thanks Megan. I agree. If everyone had the same opinion, life would be awfully boring. I enjoy being able to read everyone's reviews because it's interesting to see how people can have such staggeringly different opinions. :)


We'llcarryon Ugh... I hate you for hating Gone, but I love you for having Korra as your profile picture... You hate my favorite book series and love my favorite t.v series... I am SO torn...


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Settle for just liking me, I guess? :P


We'llcarryon Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Settle for just liking me, I guess? :P"

I guess that works too.

And after reading some more of these comments, I feel the need to elaborate on my opinion. I respect your opinion and understand it, even though I disagree.

I see what you mean about the writing. I understand that it's not that good. But for me,the writing was simplistic but not annoying. It certainly isn't bad enough to ruin the rest of the book. It was good enough to carry the fantastic characters and an exciting plot. Characters are the absolute most important part of any book for me. And the characters in Gone are amazing enough that they don't really need the best writing in the world. As for the plot and characters being too complicated to follow, I get that too. It doesn't bother me though, it actually makes it more exciting.


« previous 1 3
back to top