Carrie's Reviews > A Hat Full of Sky

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett

Jan 13, 09

Read in January, 2006

This is technically a young adult book (and yes, I do read grown-up books, I just went on a bit of a YA tear after my Powell’s extravaganza), but the only reason for so labeling it is that the main character is a teenager. It is hard to explain how great this book is if you haven’t read any Pratchett, but, then again, why haven’t you read any Pratchett? His books about the Discworld started out a pun-filled parodies of fantasy novels, and have evolved into satires on our modern world that usually leave me with more profound thinking to do afterward that most “serious fiction.” A Hat Full of Sky is a sequel to The Wee Free Men and is about Tiffany Aching’s apprenticeship as a witch, far from her home on the chalk country. It’s also about being true to yourself, whoever you are and accepting the good of yourself with the bad, and trusting your instincts. But it isn’t hokey, or preachy, just true. And funny as hell – I will never stop laughing at the Wee Free Men.

So, go out and read some Pratchett, by gum! Start with the Wee Free Men, even if they are “kids books”, and then bust out the rest of the Discworld. You won’t regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hat Full of Sky.