The Loft's Reviews > What I Saw and How I Lied

What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell

1906585
Mar 08, 09

Read in November, 2008

Evie is a normal teenager in post-WWII New York: interested in boys and hanging out with her best friend, buying chocolate and practicing smoking. And she’s happy that her step-father, Joe, has returned safely from the war. But when Joe starts getting mysterious phone calls and decides, on a whim, to pack the family car and head for Florida, things start to get a little bit crazy.

At first, Evie enjoys Palm Beach and their extended vacation, but she craves some excitement. Enter Peter, a handsome ex-GI who served with Joe in the war and for whom Evie falls, hard. But Peter and Joe’s relationship isn’t as simple as it seems and as Evie begins to figure out the truth and the plot takes a deadly turn, she must make decisions that will change her family’s life forever.

“What I Saw and How I Lied” just won the National Book Award for Young People’s Literature. It’s a mysterious thriller with a film noir setting that will suck you into the plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Saw and How I Lied.