Andrea's Reviews > Loving Frank

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Sep 26, 07

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2007

** spoiler alert ** I got my hands on an advanced reader's edition the day before it was released. I still feel special.

This historical novel chronicles the emotional love affair between famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright and little-known translator/feminist scholar Mamah Borthwick. The story, which follows Mamah's (pronounced "May-muh") perspective, took the author more than seven years to carefully research. Horan's writing is crisp and beautiful--I felt as though everything I read was what really happened, even though I knew that the author took some liberties with the facts. She certainly did justice to the memory of her "characters."

For days I've been consumed by this delicate and heart wrenching tale. There I was, almost finished and already planning to give it four stars. And then, I read the ending. Jeeee-sus! I realize that this story is based in history, and that the author didn't just pull the idea out of nowhere, but, crap. The whole now-I'm-having-nightmares factor knocked my rating down to three stars. I suppose you could argue that an author's power to shake me up so badly is a plus--Horan is indeed a fantastic writer. And besides the ending, I loved this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Frank.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal The ending knocked it down a bit for me, too. I don't think I would have minded it if I'd had some idea that was coming, but I was reading this because I was in the mood for a certain kind of book, so that really threw me off!

Rebecca Me too. I was going to suggest it to a friend but after I finished it I couldn't pass it over with a clear conscience or at least some kind of warning of what was coming at the end.