Tabatha's Reviews > Red Dragon

F_50x66
Oct 06, 12

bookshelves: twisted-and-demented

I admit it.

I only read this book to preserve the order of the novels featuring Hannibal Lecter.

With no expectations, I viewed this book as nothing more than a little speed bump I had to overcome in order to get to the real book I wanted to read, The Silence of the Lambs.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The book itself isn't remarkably written. The style is very simple and straight forward for the type of novel that it is but this just serves to make it very accessible.

Will Graham didn't stand out very much as a character and it almost seemed as though Harris was trying too hard to make him special. Graham and those around him comment on his uncanny ability to put himself in the shoes of serial killers more than once, and he makes sure that we readers know what a burden this almost preternatural ability of his is.

Not surprisingly the "Tooth Fairy" (the serial killer the novel centers around) proves to be the more interesting character. We watch as he juggles two lives and tries to prevent them from bleeding together. We see him kill a family and then go out on a date with an unsuspecting co-worker. We're also offered glances into his traumatic past which almost serve to make you forget what he has done. But the moment you start to feel some sort of empathy for him, you're jerked back into the harsh reality of just what he is.

Throughout all of this Hannibal Lecter's reputation is built up as he lurks on the fringes, occasionally sending taunting correspondence to the main characters.

While it's not a particularly stunning work, it's a fun "light-hearted" read and is a good start to the Hannibal Lecter series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Dragon.