Laura's Reviews > The Light Fantastic

Jan 15, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: discworld
Read in January, 2009

Since The Colour of Magic ends with a rather literal cliffhanger, I felt compelled to read this one and bring Rincewind and Twoflower to the end of their adventures. In some ways this second Discworld book is slightly better than the first; you can already see the gears turning as Pratchett starts to get a feel for the sheer scope of the satirical possibilities offered by the Discworld.

One thing I have always enjoyed about the Discworld books is Pratchett's ability to create, right in the middle of relentless streams of hilarity, great characters that you actually care about. I think it's in this book that this really happens for the first time - at some point you start rooting for Rincewind and Twoflower (and of course, the Luggage) instead of just laughing at them. Surprisingly, instead of ruining the joke it makes the funny parts cut deeper.

Recommended to those who liked The Colour of Magic, or to veteran Discworld readers who want to revisit the beginning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light Fantastic.