Allison's Reviews > Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

Oct 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read on October 06, 2012

You cannot read this book without falling in love: with the Internet (again), with people, with the world. I know that all sounds very vague, a book cannot possibly make you love all of the world, but this book fills you with a sense of epic possibility; It makes you feel as if there is a secret world out there, waiting for you to notice its strangeness and vastness and potential, hoping you'll come find it; It makes you feel that there are friends who are (algorithmically) perfect for you if only you'd search for them (You don't even have to find them, they'll find you; The mere act of searching is some cosmic trigger that sends them spinning your way).; This book leaves you with the feeling that you (and all people who makes the Internet) have inherited the earth, and like wizards who call upon elemental forces, you and your friends wield the skills (coding know-how, imagination, curiosity and a sense of benevolent mischief) necessary to make the world more like you imagine it. I loved it this book, and I think you will too.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.