Amanda's Reviews > Prozac Nation

Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel

Jan 17, 09

bookshelves: read-in-2009
Read in January, 2009

If Wurtzel had gone more in depth with the topics she brings up in the epilogue about the nation's shift towards psychopharmacology and automatic gratification, this . As it is, the book is horribly mistitled- she doesn't address her experience with Prozac until the final chapters.

As a memoir, it could have been more centered and deliberate- but I understand why it's not. Having several friends who have gone through depression (many in almost the same words as Wurtzel), I understand that the illness doesn't lend itself the linear, rational plotline I'd like it to. The writing gets overly self-pitiful at times (think Bella of Twilight fame), but has rare instances of wit.

Something random that bugged me- in the Acknowledgements, she goes over how grateful she is to her editors, Bob Dylan, her cat, etc. But there's not a word about her mother (who admittedly was often more harm than good, but tried her best in a human way) and, more surprisingly, nothing about Dr Sterling- the therapist she claims over and over saved her life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prozac Nation.

01/15/2009 page 100
27.17% "I'm trying..."
01/15/2009 page 160
43.48% "This book isn't what I assumed it was... oops."