Rachel's Reviews > Have a New Kid by Friday: How to Change Your Child's Attitude, Behavior & Character in 5 Days

Have a New Kid by Friday by Kevin Leman

Mar 03, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in February, 2009

Thanks to my MiL for getting this book for me. She was right...some of the ideas this guy uses are excellent. He is practical and has a down-to-earth approach to problems we all face as parents. That being said, I did NOT like all of his personal examples. They read a lot like this, "My children are so angelic. We are such awesome parents. We have never made a mistake and our children are perfect. Just listen to what my daughter/son did..." It was HIGHLY annoying! Common sense says that parents who might choose to read this book are struggling in one or more areas with their childrens' behavior and the last thing any parent in that situation wants to read is some psychologist gloating over how perfect his own children were and how it all came down to the fact that he and his wife were such perfect parents from day one! If you can overlook at least a dozen of those sickening examples of perfection, then you can find some good tips in the pages of this book. They did not negate the positive things to learn from this book (they were just annoying). Now all that's left is to perfect yourself (as the parent) so that your children can then perfect themselves based on your example. :)

5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Have a New Kid by Friday.

Kara I agree with your commments on his personal examples being so condescending! I tried to overlook those examples, but by the end of the book I was completely turned off to him and any other books he may have written!

Chelsea I felt the same way. I loved the book, but I felt like he was saying "I did everything right, my children grew up perfect and are now perfect parents themselves. You are all crappy parents, I am the only good one". I even felt like he put his wife down with the whole potty training story. Obviously Dr. Leman knows more than all of us and he knows it. Besides that, I loved the book, it was very helpful.

Chelsea Chelsea wrote: "I felt the same way. I loved the book, but I felt like he was saying "I did everything right, my children grew up perfect and are now perfect parents themselves. You are all crappy parents, I am ..."
I also felt like he was putting his wife down with the potty training thing. It seemed like he was saying "she should have just left all the parenting to me, she doesn't know what she is doing and I do." The book makes sense, I do like his style of parenting and it has worked for me, but I still want to sock him in the face for being a smug bastard.