Gale Jake's Reviews > Trotsky: Downfall Of A Revolutionary

Trotsky by Bertrand M. Patenaude

Nov 30, 12

Read from October 06 to November 30, 2012

A book worth reading to look at some of the specific Trotsky incidents in the overall history of USSR. It rides along on a barely recognizable continuum through the book, but many sections are very confusing chronologically. Car beyond the typical flashback. In one chapter an individual is killed, a couple chapters later he is alive then dead again later on. The book advances in time but the out of sequence events lay a rugged framework over a thin foundation. Huge numbers of major and minor political figures and much intrigue keep it interesting, some non-fiction can have as many schemes as fiction, this story does.

Living in Mexico City in the 80's, and visiting Trotsky's and Diego Rivera's homes made the Mexico setting interesting to me. I'm about 3/4 through, will report more and finalize my rating when complete.

To truly understand this book would require reading several general Russian revolution and Stalin era books, biographies of some of the key players, some Mexican history from the period as well as a bit of Mexican culture.

Not an ideal book to read without some fundamental background books, as it assumes some knowledge of many of the events that are mentioned only in passing. I was undereducated in understanding some sections of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trotsky.