Carrie's Reviews > The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

Jan 13, 2009

Read in December, 2005

I found this book at through a review at www.bookslut.com. It is the exact sort of book that I would have adored when I was growing up. It is the story of four sisters who go with their father on vacation to the Berkshires and the adventures they have while there. It reminds me of a modern version of Elizabeth Enright's Melendy family, or of Anastasia, or Edward Eager. I don't mean to suggest that book is old-fashioned, or twee - it is definitely a modern story, in the way the sisters interact, in the way the book deals with their mother's death, in the way that it depicts Rosalind's feelings for Cagney, or Mrs. Tifton's snobbery and aspirations for her son. But it manages to take modern topics and sensibility, and weave it into the kind of book that I loved growing up - the kind that is so engrossing that you can sink into and become part of its world. I loved, loved it and was thrilled that it won the National Book Award. I await more from Ms. Birdsall, and I look forward to reading the sequel (which I have bought, but not quite got to yet)!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Penderwicks.