Amanda's Reviews > Innocent Traitor

Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir

Jan 13, 09

bookshelves: books-i-have-abandoned

I'm not sure what it is, exactly, but Weir's writing style makes me nuts. I can't read her. I've tried three times now and never made it more than a quarter of the way through the book. My s-i-l, normally a woman with decent taste in books, swears by her and in fact loaned me this book and "The Lady Elizabeth." And I know lots of people like her style... I wish I could pin point what about this make me cringe. But her language use just leaves me flat, bored, and irritable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Innocent Traitor.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Her book The Princes in the Tower is my favorite book to mutter at angrily. Next time you see me, ask me about how I stole it from the library so I could scribble angry comments in the margins.

Megan All of Weir's characters have the same voice. The only way you can tell who is narrating and when is by the note at the beginning of each section. She may be a historian, but she certainly ins't a writer.

message 3: by Hella (new) - added it

Hella I know exactly what you mean...and can guess what gives you chills (in a bad way). I love this book, but mainly because it feels like walking through a time channel, and be there, see it, feel it.....that part is the historian part. But as a writer: although her descriptions are great and detailed and don't lack emotion, I find it utterly irritating the way she wants to explain things us as an adult would a 5-yo....as if she wouldn't give us credit to KNOW...maybe I feel this way only because I have been already familiar with the era, and I don't need further explanations for ceremonies etc....it made me feel as when I was little and my mom used to talk to a 3rd person TO ME, letting know that 3rd person what she really thinks.....it was the same irritating :D
But beside this, I find this book a fascinating travel....but I really truly love the Elizabethan era - and around.

message 4: by meg (new)

meg I trudged through half of the book before I gave up. It just wasn't going anywhere for me. I love the story and learning about historical characters through fiction, but man, this was tedious. But you're right, there is something about it that you can't quite put your finger on. At times it almost felt repetitive maybe. Who knows.