Fani's Reviews > The Bride Hunt

The Bride Hunt by Margo Maguire

Lady Isabel is abducted by Scots from her father's castle the night she was supposed to choose a husband. Her elected husband is also abducted with her. On their rescue comes the formidable knight Anvrai d'Arques of powerful physique but scarred in the face and missing one eye. After many days they manage to escape the Scots but they have to get back to England through enemy territory. During their journey through Scotland, Isabel gets to know both men better and is surprised with her feelings. She grew up in a convent and always felt a sensitive, peace-loving courtier would be the best match for her; so why is she now attracted to the hardened warrior beside her?

Anvrai on the other hand, has long ago realised that no woman will ever come to his bed willingly and certainly none will have him as a husband. He has turned into a powerful warrior and knows that he'll never enjoy a family of his own. And though lady Isabel seems different that any womam he's met and is not so repulsed by him, she has said she's going to marry that weak but handsome and rich fiance of hers. Why would she ever give him up for a poor, scarred knight who does not have a property of his own?

There is a lot of action as those three make their journey through Scotland to get to friendly land. There is almost pulpable passion and heat between Isabel and Anvrai; you can really feel the sparks between them and even when the're just kissing, it's HOT. And the most refreshing part was that Isabel is not a weak, timid, shivering maid; she plans the escape from the Scots, helps Anvrai with the physical tasks, sews their wounds without hysterics, learns to cook and carries her own bag. I really couldn't put this down and medievals are not even my favorite genre. A keeper for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bride Hunt.

08/06/2009 page 160
42.9% "Ok, I was too tired last night and still couldn't put this down. I'm really loving it so far and I can't wait to see what happens next:)" 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Corrine This is deep down in the TBR but I might have to pull it out a little sooner. Great review!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Anvrai sounds like my kind of hero. (leering).

message 3: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Fanip! Sounds like a great book!

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user Whoot! Action and a one-eyed hero? What else could a girl ask for? And the heroine's realistic and resourceful? That's just the topping, LOL. Thanks, Fanip.

Fani Glad to be of service new_user:)

Yeah, I loved Anvrai myself Danielle, one eyed or not the man was HOT!

Fani Angelc glad you liked the review. I did like the book very very much; I planned to rate it with 5 stars, only I read Duke of Shadows a few days later and I was so awed by that one, that I didn't want to rate another book with 5 stars as well so soon:)

message 7: by Angelc (new)

Angelc I will have to give this book a try, I tried to read a couple by her that I didn't finish, but it sounds like this one is really good!

Fani Hmmm, I have two more of hers in my TBR... I'm not optimistic about them right now, as everyone keeps saying that The Bride Hunt is the best by far:(

message 9: by Angelc (new)

Angelc I tried to read Wild and Temptation of the Warrior and didn't finish either one. :(

message 10: by AgentScully (new) - added it

AgentScully Great review Fani! I need to pull this out of the TBR

message 11: by Fani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fani Thanks Scully! I had this in my TBR for along while too, since I couldn't imaging caring for an one-eyed hero. However it turned a keeper for me. It was well written and I really liked the strong heroine and the way she fought for her liberty or what she wanted. And the hero was so sweet and honorable, trying to fight her off:) It also had non-stop pace as they travel through enemy land to go back to the heroine's castle.

I can't recall why I rated it with 4 stars only... I remember it quite fondly and surprisingly, quite vividly!

message 12: by AgentScully (new) - added it

AgentScully Yummmmm, sounds really good Fani!