Evie's Reviews > Zombies Don't Forgive

Zombies Don't Forgive by Rusty Fischer

Oct 06, 2012

bookshelves: wish-list, miya-event, 2013, best-thing-ever, freaking-awesome, pure-awesomeness, ya, zombies
Read from March 24 to 30, 2013

With his signature wit, charm and cleverness, Rusty Fischer takes the readers on yet another fan-zombie-tastic, hold-on-tight-to-your-panties action-packed journey that is just as cool, nerdy and entertaining as it is gut-wrenching and emotional.

The story picks up approximately three months after the events in book one (Zombies Don't Cry). To avoid being captured by the Sentinels, Maddy, Dane and Stamp have been forced to flee Barracuda Bay, leaving everyone and everything they knew behind. They are now "living" in Orlando, working at a local theme park in the Great Monster Makeover show, doing their best to stay under the radar and out of trouble. Well, at least that's what Maddy and Dane are trying to do. Stamp? Not so much. Ever since he and Maddy broke up, he's been partying every night, hooking up with girls (and Normals at that!) and enjoying the night life of Orlando to the fullest. As reckless and worrisome as his behaviour is, it isn't until he falls for a certain mysterious blonde that things really spin out of control, triggering a chain reaction that will put the after-lives of our zombific trio in great danger. Brace yourself guys, some seriously nasty brain-goo is about to be spilled!

Zombies Don't Forgive was SO MUCH FUN! I loved everything from the sparkly dialogues, deliciously nerdy humor (for example: Maddy finds her brain-supplier on a website called Zombies 'R Us. Her own nickname there is Living Dead Girl. Total WIN!) to the non-stop action and jaw-dropping plot twists. From the moment Val stepped onto the scene, I knew she was going to be trouble. I really loved Maddy and Dane for doing everything in their power to protect Stamp, whether that meant dressing up as survey-takers and snooping around or risking their after-lives to save his skin. Their friendship had its good and bad moments - they were annoying the not-exactly-living souls out of each other while sharing a closet-size apartment - but they were always there for each other. Even having to deal with the painfully awkward romantic situation they found themselves in (I guess you could call it a Living Dead Love Triangle) didn't destroy the strong bond between them.

I really like the fact that we got to learn a little bit more about the Sentinels in this book. On top of that, we were introduced to the Keepers (who are somewhere between the Sentinels and the Ancients). Rusty Fischer expanded the world we knew from book one, adding new, interesting aspects to it and therefore making the story even more exciting. The ending - as well as all the heartbreaking, gut-twisting events leading up to it - was totally unpredictable and eye-popping. I could not believe where the story went, though I must say it was such a brilliant development! In short, I was blown away (yet again), impressed and deeply satisfied.

I laughed a lot while reading this book, but I also worried, got angry and bawled. And I'm pretty sure I growled a couple times, too. Yes, this book is a zombielicious fun fest - hilarious, entertaining and quirky - but it's also so much more than that. It's a sweet, warm and meaningful story of friendship, love, survival, revenge and sacrifice. Not some shallow paranormal romance filled with cheap jokes and brainless action, but rather something deeper, more thoughtful and emotionally engaging. Most importantly, Fischer's characters are blissfully angst-and-drama-free. Zombies Don't Forgive is no sullen-Cullen mope-fest, it's a cool, original story that will seriously rock your boat!

In the end, despite the fact that all (or almost all) the characters in Zombies Don't Forgive are dead, cold and pretty stiff (literally speaking), the story itself has a beautiful beating heart. From beginning to the end, it's funky, fresh and full of incredible energy. And the only thing I could possibly complain about is having to wait so long for the next book in the series!

_________________________________________________________
This review will be posted on Bookish (www.evie-bookish.blogspot.com) on April 5th 2013, as part of MEN in YA2 blog event.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombies Don't Forgive.

03/28/2013 page 108
28.0% "@RusWritesZombie awesomesauce!! Go, Dane and Maddy!"