Amy's Reviews > Okay for Now

Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt

12062712
Oct 06, 12

bookshelves: fiction, ya

This is one of my more recent favorites, and because it didn’t win the Newbery like I thought it would, I’m now on a blogpost-long crusade to make everyone in the universe read Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt.

Set in the Vietnam War era, fourteen-year-old Doug Swieteck’s family moves to a new town and life is just a mess for poor Doug. His dad is mean, he has no friends, his big brother bullies him, and his other big brother has just come home from the War a different person altogether.

But Doug finds solace in a love of baseball, a close relationship with his mama, a discovery of the wonders held inside the public library (despite a grouchy librarian), and a spunky girl who becomes his sidekick as they make town deliveries together for her father’s business.

It’s a tale of highs and lows, abuse and tenderness, loss and recovery, art appreciation and quirky townspeople whom you almost feel like you’ve met in person.

I can’t say enough good things about Okay for Now. It’s amazingly well written and very touching. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, and when you reach the end you’ll say, "I’m so very glad I read that book."

And if you happen to love it as much as I do, you won’t want to miss The Wednesday Wars, the companion to Okay for Now. Excellent reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Okay for Now.