Sarah's Reviews > We Bought a Zoo

Apr 16, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: animals, nonfiction
Read in February, 2009

I did enjoy this book. To be specific, I enjoyed the storyline--a family in England buys a small rundown zoo and works to get it licensed and started up again in the midst of a family tragedy. Now that being said, this book was in serious need of a good editor with lots of red ink. At times it did not flow logically and suffered from a severe overuse of parentheses. Rarely was there a simple sentence containing one uninterrupted thought. And it was downright aggravating that the author would comment ("more on that later)" and then never get to the more part. In reading this book, I often felt like this was just the first draft with notes to the author and editor inserted randomly within the text. Even more aggravating to an anal reader was the lack of consistency in names (for example, is the elderly serval's name Gilly or Jilly? Pick one and stick with it). I give this book two stars solely because it is a heart-warming story, but I do hope that Mr. Mee employs a good editor before another such undertaking.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Bought a Zoo.