Jenni Ebba's Reviews > Hearts of Darkness

Hearts of Darkness by Kira Brady

Oct 21, 12

Read from October 06 to 21, 2012

I enjoyed this debut novel from Kira Bradley. It starts as Nurse Kayla Friday being in Seattle to identify her sister's remains. And when the story starts she has zero idea that the dark spirits are entering our world through a broken gate- a broken gate that is leading to the destruction of civilization; a loss of electricity. The story has action from almost the very beginning, with Kayla being dragged into an ongoing battle between two ancient beliefs.
I am a total sucker for mythology so I read this story through- that's not to say that at times it was difficult. I especially like stories that involve Ancient Babylonian inspired creatures! You could also tell that this is the first in an ongoing series because Brady does some major world building.
This story has a semi-common plot; it's the common story of good girl falling for a damned boy. For even after her sister's death, Kayla wants to do the right thing. And the right thing is helping track down a powerful necklace that her sister had managed to find and get it into the right hands using the same kind of ability her late sister had. The bad guy is especially inspiring, I thought. (view spoiler)
For a PNR though there isn't as many romantic interludes as one would expect and I cannot decide if that's a good thing or a negative aspect to Brady's storytelling. I will end on a positive note though and say that as far as characters go, Hart is definitely the more interesting of the dynamic duo. He's dark and gritty- everything I love in an alpha male (literally)!
2.5-3 Stars

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hearts of Darkness.