Layla's Reviews > Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment

Authentic Happiness by Martin E.P. Seligman

Apr 16, 09

Read in April, 2009

This book was really dry. I enjoyed Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience, written by the other "founder of positive psychology," Mihaly, much much more. In theory, the book was sound; I appreciated the point that the super elite in terms of wealth are only minimally happier compared to the average person whose basic needs are met. I disagreed with the statements regarding early life experience and how it doesn't have any influence on adult behavior -- there's a lot of scientific evidence strongly suggesting otherwise, particularly with regard to stress reactivity. But the main message of the book, which is to use your signature strengths and virtues on a daily basis, strikes a chord. I went to the authentic happiness inventory website and took the signature strengths test and I appreciate having that information now. Unfortunately, the book doesn't explain how to maximize the use of specific strengths -- that is up to the reader to decide for him/herself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Authentic Happiness.

03/23/2009 page 96