Ariyana Spencer's Reviews > Revival House

Revival House by Shannon Giglio

Oct 21, 12

Read from October 05 to 21, 2012

What first drew me into Revival House was the setting, haunted Savannah, Georgia...Well, that and my own odd fascination with the funeral biz. I must say, the tourist hotspot is central to the success of this bizarre tale of horror. Revival House isn't a ghost story, no, but its characters are most definitely haunted, by the past, by their own limitations, by the living reminders of their failures. None of them more than the main character, Caleb Exley, heir to a withering funeral parlor business. (Darn these health nuts trying to live longer lives!) Most of us suffer from money problems at some point in our lives, and Caleb is in the middle of such a crisis. The business is going under, his aunt's hospital bills are piled high...But when Caleb's old pal Avery enters the scene, he brings with him a recipe for success: add one heaping cup of morbidness, a liberal dash of psychosis, and set oven to Hell. Serve bloody.

I've got to say, this story was a delight to read, and I'd recommend it to both new readers (so long as they're not squeamish) and to all those who've read SS Michaels' other novel, Idols & Cons (watch for the great references to that tale in this one).
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revival House.