Ginny Marie's Reviews > On the Banks of Plum Creek

On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Jan 14, 09

bookshelves: children
Read in December, 2008

I brought out my set of Little House books for my husband to read to our four year old daughter. She loves hearing stories from these books over and over again. I had great fun rereading the first four books again! (I think we are going to stop at On the Banks of Plum Creek for now. As I was previewing the fifth book, By the Shores of Silver Lake I thought some story lines might be too mature for our four year old.)

From my childhood readings, I distinctly remember the grasshoppers coming and destroying the crops, along with the vivid descriptions of how quickly a blizzard would blow in. One my of favorite stories was when Pa got caught in a blizzard walking home from town. He fell in a small hollow and was trapped in a cave of snow for days. This cave of snow saved him from freezing to death. He stayed alive by eating some of the Christmas treats he had bought in town, including the Christmas candy. When he finally arrived home, safe and sound, the snow cave being only yards from the house, Laura and Mary are so relieved that they do not mind not having their Christmas candy.

'"Well," Pa said, "we'll have a big wheat crop next year, and you girls won't have to wait till next Christmas for candy."'

At least Pa had not eaten the oysters, and there was oyster stew for Christmas dinner.

Discussing this book was also fun for my husband and me. We are fascinated with history and how people used to live and the skills they needed to survived. On the Banks of Plum Creek is not just for children, but is entertaining for adults, too.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Banks of Plum Creek.