Laura's Reviews > Bone By Bone

Bone By Bone by Carol O'Connell

Jan 03, 15

bookshelves: 2009-mt-bookpile, old-reads
Read in February, 2009

Ever since reading Judas Child I've been a fan of Carol O'Connell's. The darkness at the heart of her mysteries is, for some reason, appealing.

Bone by Bone is lighter than Judas Child or Stone Angel, more akin to a book like Shell Game or Winter House . The characters are what make this book shine, with incredible descriptions of their physical presence as well as details about their psychological state. Unfortunately, that also means over explication in some areas, and by the end of the book there's very little left to our imaginations.

O'Connell doesn't quite follow the "the reader should be able to figure out the criminal from textual clues" approach, but she doesn't stray far. The murderer here was not unexpected, but the evidence did seem to come from some hidden bit of plot that, even if I went back and re-read, was so minor you wondered how the crime got solved.

In the end, the only remaining mystery is why Oren left the military just shy of his 20 years - was it Harriet's doing? was there another reason?

Part of me hopes that we'll meet him again.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bone By Bone.

12/31 marked as: read