Kara's Reviews > Princess of the Silver Woods

Read from October 25 to 27, 2012

Here it is!!

Minor Spoilers

My Review
Wow, what a great story! I highly recommend you read Princess of the Midnight Ball before reading this princess story because it’s the same family from a different perspective. Petunia is the youngest of 12 princesses and this book is her journey. She is on the way to visit the Grand Duchess Volenskaya when her royal coach is threatened and almost robbed. That’s when her adventure starts and she gradually learns that villains are not always evil looking and true heroes are not always dressed in fine clothing.

Oliver is impressed with Petunia from the moment they meet and he is determined to keep her safe. Then he comes across the shadow men lurking outside Petunia’s window and makes a decision to protect her even if it places his own life in danger. Oliver has learned to be a leader since he was a teenager, but due to several injustices his family has suffered greatly. He’s finally ready to set things right, but what will it cost to have justice prevail?

These 12 princesses have such different personalities and Petunia became my favorite of the sisters in this book! The princesses are: daisy, hyacinth, iris, jonquil, lilac, lily, orchid, pansy, petunia, poppy, rose, and violet. For years Petunia and her sisters were forced to obey the King Under Stone, dancing each night with the 12 princes. It brought despair, broken dancing shoes, and trauma to the princesses and to their household. Now they are free of this evil, but there’s a new King Under Stone and he wants to finish what his father started. Petunia is 16 now and she is ready for battle. Not only can she fire a gun fearlessly, but she is bold and incredibly feisty. Her nightmares are back and worse than ever, but this time with the help of her sisters and their husbands Petunia is ready to defend herself. The only thing I didn’t enjoy about this story was that their father, the king, is only in the story towards the middle and at the end. He is jaded by what has taken place in his own kingdom and has no place in protecting his daughters. However, every character from Midnight Ball is in this story and it’s a satisfying ending.

I knew I would love this story from the beginning and within the first 50 pages I couldn’t put it down. There is true love, betrayal, evil, good bandits, and 12 incredible princesses that endure both good and bad together. I highly recommend Princess of the Silver Woods for both fans of Jessica Day George as well those who will be reading her book for the first time. She understands how to write an incredible adventure with several characters without confusing the story or slowing the action down! Even though this book is from Petunia’s (and also Oliver’s) perspective, the reader is experiencing the heart of each princess as the story unfolds. There is violence (gun shots, one gunshot wound, a few deaths, one botched robbery, and vivid nightmares) and a few uses of the word bast*rd, but otherwise very appropriate and quite enjoyable. It was also a thrill seeing the references to Red Riding Hood and Robin Hood in this exciting tale that is both pleasing and endearing to any reader who enjoys fantasy books. This is easily my favorite Jessica Day George book and I look forward to reading more of her books. Feel free to visit Jessica’s page on facebook, http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#...

Jessica’s Biography (from Amazon.com)
It's all about the books. Friends, family, school, "real jobs", they were just obstacles to be tackled so that I could return to my true love: books. All I have ever wanted in this world is to read and write books. My criteria for choosing a purse is that it must be able to fit a paperback book inside. I took books on my honeymoon, and bought more while we were there. I picked my major because it looked like I would get to read a lot of books, and also I thought it would provide me with interesting background information for my own books (which it did), so I now have a BA in Humanities -Comparative Literature with a minor in Scandinavian Studies. From the time I was twelve on up, I told people that I wanted to be a writer. When they said, "So, you'll teach and then maybe try to write a book?" I would just shake my head. No, I was a writer, and that was all I wanted to do. Over the years I have lived in Idaho, New Jersey, Delaware, and now Utah, because it doesn't matter. I can read and write anywhere. I've worked at a wedding invitation factory (Bet you didn't know they made them in big scary factories, did you?), at a video store (back at the birth of DVD), at libraries and bookstores, and even been an office lady at a school while I waited to get published. I knew that I would be published eventually, because . . . well, I just had to be.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have other interests. I took eight years of German, four of Norwegian, and even studied Old Norse so that I could read the great Viking sagas in the original language. I knit like a maniac: hats, scarves, sweaters, dog sweaters, socks, felted purses, you name it. I play the piano and viola, love to travel and to watch movies. I have a husband and three kids and a dog . . .

But mostly, it's about the books.

Visit Jessica at http://www.JessicaDayGeorge.com

I want to thank Bloomsbury USA Children’s Books and Netgalley for the free ebook ARC they provided for review purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed are my own.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Silver Woods.