Erin's Reviews > Riveted

Riveted by Meljean Brook

Oct 05, 2012

liked it
Read from October 05 to 07, 2012

This is a bit of a departure from the two first books in the Iron Seas series, which can only be described as "swashbuckling" (I will accept no other adjectives). Those books are awesome, with great romances, great characters, and ass-kicking heroes and heroines. This book is also awesome, although in a quieter way. Annika may not be one of Brook's trademark warrior women (<3 you Irina), but she is a fighter in her own way. She doesn't always fit in outside her village, but she stubbornly pursues her sister wherever she may have gone in the world. She wears clothes that other people find baffling, but she loves to sew and wear them, so screw everybody else. David is a scientist, as opposed to a pirate or an adventurer. A vulcanologist travelling to Iceland for an expedition, he merely wants to add to the body of knowledge that could one day help humanity, not necessarily make a huge discovery and become famous. I appreciate that both of these characters are a bit subtler than their predecessors; each one doesn't quite fit in, and each one is vulnerable and unsure in the ways of love and romance.

Brook being Brook, this book takes twists and turns I could not have seen coming if I were psychic. There is adventure, and danger, and heroics, and even a straight-up psychopath villain, but there is also a meditation on the purpose of science and the value of progress. And there are inventions that made my jaw drop. You're going THERE, Brook? Jeez, okay. I won't spoil it but I was pretty excited by some of the new machines we see here.

The one thing I didn't love was the ending. I'm not sure exactly what happened to the villain. Maybe I was reading too fast, but I'm not sure if he's coming back for more in future books. Either way, I enjoyed this latest foray into the awesome sandbox that is the Iron Seas.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riveted.

Cindy He crashed & destroyed his hidden camp of pirates. They all died. Presumably, he did too since he was in the rocket when it crashed. :)

Erin Cindy wrote: "He crashed & destroyed his hidden camp of pirates. They all died. Presumably, he did too since he was in the rocket when it crashed. :)"

Thanks! I must have missed that in my rush to the finish.

Cindy :)