Charli's Reviews > We Never Talk about My Brother

Dec 21, 14

bookshelves: speculative, short-stories, for-review
Read in January, 2009

SLJ review:

Hugo and Nebula award-winning Beagle, best known for his beloved fantasy The Last Unicorn, offers this collection of new and previously released stories with an introduction by Charles de Lint. Although different fantastical elements are explored-angels, dybbuks, ghosts, fairies-the stories remain rooted in rich, thoughtful prose set in real-world thinking. Characters are drawn with an economy of words into believable, multilayered, and compelling people. While each tale is a beautifully crafted gem, cut and polished to perfection, the title story is the standout. To say it's about a venomous newsman and his brother struggling for supremacy in the ultimate case of sibling rivalry is to understate vastly the depth and simplicity of the writing and the sucker punch of an ending. Also included is "The Unicorn Tapestries," a cycle of seven poems that celebrates the famous tapestries hanging in the Cloisters branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. This is a worthwhile purchase for public libraries where fantasy and short story collections are popular.
—Charli Osborne

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Never Talk about My Brother.