Sheri's Reviews > Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things

Alvin Ho by Lenore Look

Jan 12, 09

bookshelves: booktalks
Read in January, 2009

Alvin Ho, a Chinese American boy fond of superheroes and firecrackers, is sort of like a human Scaredy Squirrel. His list of things to be afraid of is as long (fourteen items and counting) as it is specific (kimchi. substitute teachers. wasabi.)

Like Scaredy Squirrel he has a Personal Disaster Kit. This year his kit contains a whistle (for all those times he loses his voice), garlic (for fending off vampires and teachers) and a scary mask (for keeping girls away). But every year is different and Alvin finds there's nothing in the kit for such personal disasters as chicken pox, piano lessons, and making your dad super extra angry.

Lenore Look (author of the funny and engaging Ruby Lu series) imbues her Alvin with enough neuroses to make him funny, enough ambition (he'd love to be a superhero) to make him identifiable, and enough inner dialogue to crack up young readers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alvin Ho.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raina (new)

Raina what age are you planning to booktalk this to? :)

Sheri probably third-fourth graders?

message 3: by Raina (new)

Raina Sheri wrote: "probably third-fourth graders?"

Cool. Thanks, Sheri! Missed you at OlyReads on Saturday. For some reason I thought you RSVPed yes... Next time. :)

Sheri I'm terrible! I *did* RSVP yes and then my boyfriend wanted to take me out to dinner and I hadn't seen him in over a week because we live in different towns. I've been meaning to post a note on OlyReads apologizing for my lapse and expressing my interest in our NEXT meeting. It's such a great group -- I had a blast the first time I went. Hope to see you soon!

message 5: by Raina (new)

Raina Sheri wrote: "I'm terrible! I *did* RSVP yes and then my boyfriend wanted to take me out to dinner and I hadn't seen him in over a week because we live in different towns. I've been meaning to post a note on Oly..."

No worries - there were a lot of people there! :) Although you could have brought him - I brought mine! :)

Sheri He's (gasp...) not into books. I *know*. I don't get it either.... ;)

message 7: by Raina (new)

Raina Sheri wrote: "He's (gasp...) not into books. I *know*. I don't get it either.... ;)

"

lol. Well, I suppose we could forgive him. Although he'd still be welcome of course. Two of the guys in attendance at Saturday's meeting did non-traditional media - one talked about a talking book, and the other about a couple of magazines. I'm sure we could take reviews of tv shows, radio programs, newspapers... And we do have good taste in refreshment. :)

Anyway, I'll see you at the SRP workshop???

Sheri Yes! Looking forward to it. I may also see you in passing at ssbrc...