Alicia Scully's Reviews > The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

Oct 05, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, realistic, young-adult-lit
Read in October, 2012

This book follows four friends as they spend their first summer apart and they share a pair of "magical" pants to keep them all connected. Carmen goes to visit her father for the summer only to find out that he's engaged, living with a new family, and that they know so much about her when she knows nothing about them; Lena goes to visit her grandparents in Greece only to have her introversion challenged by a gorgeous boy who could very well be her soul mate; Bridget goes to an elite soccer camp and sets her goals on bagging the extremely hot, much older coach that she feel an intense sexual connection with; and Tiddy is left at home to work in the local superstore but she also becomes friends with a girl with leukemia and other people that she never before would have considered worth her time. Each of the girls must face consequences and truths about themselves while also learning who they are apart and in their own group of friends.

This book was another wonderful read. I had seen the movie way back when and I had liked it, though I never would have considered fully reading the series nor would I have thought that I'd like the book so much. The book was obviously better, if only for the fact that the serious issues that were discussed in the book were explored in much more detail than the movie. I was quite impressed that the book went in the directions that it did and I applaud the book for that reason. It's not necessarily the genre that I would pick up on my own, so the fact that I liked it as much as I did makes me like it all the more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.