Kristen's Reviews > Anna Karenina

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Mar 10, 09

bookshelves: 1001-books-before-you-die, classics
Read in March, 2009

What I learned from this book?
Tolstoy liked farming
Tolstoy hated people cheating on their spouses
Even in Russia back in the 1800's if you cheat on your spouse you will spend the rest of your life doubting whoever you are with.

If someone cheats to be with you, you will never trust them.

Other than that... this book drones on and on and on and on and really doesn't come to any sort of resolution. This really wasn't my type of book. Sorry to all of the fans, I can see why you like it, but it's just not for me.

You have two main stories... Levin and his pining over Kitty, getting Kitty and then flipping out about everything she does. Oh, and he farms... A LOT. He also takes us hunting in great detail and likes to yammer on about his political theories about everything.

Then there is the Thrilling tale of Anna and Vronsky. Anna hoes around and ends up making a mess of her marriage. She runs off with Vronsky and suprise surpise, they are miserable because neither can trust the other.

I kept rolling my eyes and wondering when they were going to just get over it. But like my oldest stepson - once a mistake is made, they just kept digging. They were lucky this book didn't end in China... or with them being in Russia would that have been Brazil? Whatever - I read it, I didn't like it, I'll recommend it to anyone I don't like.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna Karenina.

01/14/2009 page 38