Kat Johnson's Reviews > Shift

Oct 04, 12

Recommended for: Nobody
Read in March, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: Once was enough

** spoiler alert ** ** spoiler alert ** *****SPOILER ALERT*****

Okay, I’ve got to say it. I am losing all respect for this series. There I said it, so sue me. As one of the few Tabbies (female were-cats) in existence Faythe Sanders has gone through a lot to get to where she is today. She has had to grow up and make some hard choices in the previous four books of this series and had appeared like she was developing into a strong forward thinking woman/tabby that is being groomed to lead her pride as the first female alpha. With the help and unconditional support of Marc, her father’s right hand cat and Faythe’s lover/mate she seems to be set to do great things.

However, here is where I am having issues, in books 4 and 5 Faythe is seen making horrible personal decisions and then is unable to own up to her mistakes. Come on! If she can’t be honest with the ones she claims to love “desperately” (gag) then how is she going to be a trustworthy alpha?

In book 4 Faythe screws around on Marc with Jace one of her pride mates. Jace has always had a crush on her and is one of those flirty guys that you love to have around but would never seriously consider having a real relationship with. In all of the previous books Jace is a laid back cat who has shown no real alpha tendencies until after he sleeps with Faythe the wonder tabby. WTF???

Now in book 5 he is suddenly challenging Marc at every turn and poor Marc has no idea why. Yeah, she hasn't told him that she boinked Jace in a moment of alcohol induced horniness. Oh, but wait they were comforting each other because her brother just got killed and Marc was missing. So your man is missing and your brother’s dead so why not celebrate by getting wasted and totally betraying the one man who seems to love you despite your childish shit.

So now she doesn’t want to give up Jace and she can’t bring herself to “hurt” Marc by clueing him in because she doesn’t want to lose him either. On top of everything else they have were-bird people showing up trying to kidnap her and the other tabbies, while killing every male were-cat they can find to avenge the death of one of their own, moronically named “Finn”. All because a rival alpha who wants the magic tabbies all to himself has told these birdbrains that Faythes pride were the ones who were guilty of killing their bird buddy.

In between attacks Faythe and Jace keep sharing meaningful looks and sneaking off to have heated debates about their so called relationship. Now I have to say that Jace is trying to be a standup guy and wants to tell Marc what they did but the tabby in denial just won’t own up to it. Yes, sir, she’s prime alpha material all right.

Anyway, the were-birds manage to kill a few of the were-cats and are able to hold the entire pride, plus a few other visiting alphas, hostage on their own land and in their own house. The kicker is they are supposed to be ranchers, but they only have one measly handgun on the entire ranch. Because these cats don’t like guns…again…WTF??

Someone has the bright idea that all the tabbies will be safer somewhere else and Faythe is charged with getting herself, Kaci a recently adopted young tabby, Manx a traumatized declawed tabby and Manx’s infant to safety. Yeah, that is so going to work. Yep, you guessed it they get caught and Faythe and Kaci are spirited away to the badass thunderbirds nest/bird house/whatever. Faythe is told that she must prove her prides innocence in two days or Kaci will be killed.

Hmmm…what’s a tabby to do? I know…let’s call daddy! Who promptly sends help in the form of (wait for it…), Jace and Marc. Dang, I just didn’t see that one comin’. Can you say road trip? Jace is snippy the whole way, Faythe can’t stop getting injured and Marc is still clueless. Some badly planned escapades ensue, Faythe gets hurt again, and finally, yes finally Marc finds out the big secret.
Okay, by this point in the book I am getting really pissed. I like Marc, he’s hot, he’s dependable and he will do anything to keep his woman safe. He’s given her time to adjust to her new role in their pride and has asked her to marry him. So what does this possessive alpha male do when he finds out his woman slept with someone else, who is within ass kickin’ distance no less? The don’t touch my woman or I will smear you on the pavement, me Tarzan, badass gives some pathetic speech about getting the job done and goes silent. Well almost silent, he throws some vague threats Jaces’ way and tells Faythe that she has to choose, that’s about it. Faythe tearfully apologizes, assuring Marc that she still “desperately” loves him but privately is frantically trying to figure a way to keep them both. By now I am firmly rooting for the bird people to kill them all.

They manage to get the proof they need by kidnapping the were-cat that really killed the birdman and handing him over in exchange for the Kaci. He of course promptly grabs one of the were-bird children and demands to be let go. He takes off with his hostage into the woods. Faythe and Marc give chase; Marc manages to rip out his throat while Faythe grabs the baby thus saving the day. Mamma and baby bird are reunited, the bad dudes body is handed over to be consumed/eaten by the bird people…and now the were-birds owe the were-cats a favor for saving the cute little baby…nice, right?

The last two books have almost put me off the whole series entirely, which is a shame because this story arc had such promise. But come on, what pride is going to be able to hold up their heads at any were conference when they get their asses handed to them by skinny bird people? I don’t care if they do have razor sharp claws and can fly. Get some damn guns and go huntin’. Do you think the wolves would be hiding in the house waiting to get picked off? Hell no, they’d be preparing to kick bird butt. If the birds can beat you up then what are you going to do when the were-mice decide they wanna piece of your ass?
Faythe is supposed to be developing as a strong, intelligent woman who has the opportunity to change the status quo for all female were-cats but she can’t seem to keep her legs closed or be honest with the man she claims to love. She can make the “hard” choices like handing over one of her own kind to be eaten but she can’t say no to one guy while being committed to another. Yes, I know that mistakes happen, that’s not it, my issue is with how she has dealt with that mistake that sets my teeth on edge. If you have feelings for another person then woman up and say so, don’t continue to sneak around and rationalize your behavior by pretending your protecting someone from getting hurt…bad..bad..kitty.

Finally, if you’re a collector then go ahead and get this book but don’t expect too much. If you’re not then I would tell you to skip it.

Just one chicks opinion,

Kat

This is a re-post - had to reload entire library

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shift.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amanda Grinstead I COMPLETELY agree. I wanted the series to end with both Jace and Marc telling her that she was a fickle, good-for-nothing and leaving her alone and miserable. She is NOT Alpha material and I'm surprised more Pride members didn't jump ship when she took over. She honestly seems incapable of making a good decision. Thank you for making me feel like I'm not the only one who started hating this series after book 4.

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 1 star

Kat Johnson Amanda wrote: "I COMPLETELY agree. I wanted the series to end with both Jace and Marc telling her that she was a fickle, good-for-nothing and leaving her alone and miserable. She is NOT Alpha material and I'm sur..."

You are very welcome! I'm glad I'm not alone in my dislike of the "Wonder Tabby". Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Teshai i understand exactly what you are saying but still disagree with some of your points. It was made clear why they dont have guns, and being attacked from above? really what can they do. the matter with Jace and Marc, they both need to leave her ass, i would not follow Fayth as an Alpha of anything but to give the book 1 star due to the fact you dont like the love triangle? Good lord, real people have love triangles.

message 4: by Kat (last edited May 29, 2014 07:20PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kat Johnson Teshai wrote: "i understand exactly what you are saying but still disagree with some of your points. It was made clear why they dont have guns, and being attacked from above? really what can they do. the matter..."

Welcome Teshai and thank you for commenting! I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. While can appreciate where you’re coming from I gave this book 1 star (which is rare for me) for several reasons, a few of which you have touched on in your comment. Please, bear with me since it’s been awhile since I read the book but I don’t remember any realistic reasons given for not using firearms, other than it’s just not cool for shifters to do so. If I missed something please let me know. That being said I would point out that being armed would have gone a long way towards leveling the playing field against the menace from above. A few well placed bullets could have grounded the aerial intruders, which would have granted the feckless tabby and her entourage at least a chance to go at them with claws and teeth.

Onward, as to your point about the love triangle. I completely agree that real people fall into love triangles all the time. It’s a sad fact, and one I am not disputing. However, it’s how the characters deal with the situation that makes or breaks a story arc for me. Unfortunately, I felt the author chose to go in a direction that I could not understand nor stomach. She portrayed the “heroine” as a mindless twit that couldn’t woman up and make an adult decision. How am I supposed to get behind a character like that? If she can’t manage something that essential then how am I going to believe that she would make any kind of alpha? Nope, lost me on that one.

One final thought (good lord, didn’t mean to write a novel on ya…sorry about that), anyway, my final thought is this, this review was based on my likes and dislikes only, and I really disliked this book. Hence, the one star rating, I wish I could have given it more but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.
Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Happy reading!

Sabrina The reason they didn't have guns wasn't because it wasn't cool lol They have a lot of land that the were-cats Shift on into their cat forms. If they had guns while people were running around on four legs a lot of accidents would happen. It is also stated that while it is a "ranch" they do not actually have animalS (Animals don't like shifters), and they also have a property line that says no tresspassing, for obvious reasons, and no hunting. In the first novel when the hunter shows up and sees Fythe the discuss the reasons for no guns.

Not yelling at you but letting you know the reasons. Also, with the triangle I understand it is overdone in a lot of books. I can see why she didn't know what to do though. In book time it's only a few weeks or days after book 4 when book 5 starts. In reality a few days or weeks is not long to choose who you want to spend your life with.