Airah ♔'s Reviews > The Perfect Game

The Perfect Game by J. Sterling

SPOILERS AHEAD. Read at your own risk.

Let me get this off my chest first. Honestly, I don't know much about baseball other than what I see while channel hopping on TV.

As far as I know, its popularity hasn't even reached my country yet. Lack of wide media coverage for the national team is a proof. (I actually googled if we even have a national team.)

So a professional college baseball player doesn't really excite me that much. But I thought, as long as the hero has one thing he's passionate about, aside from breaking a girl's heart of course; I decided to give this book a try.

And I wasn't disappointed. At first.

I was really entertained. The writing wasn't really something to gush about, it's simply good.

Just don't get me started with Jack Carter, the said baseball player. He's a world class jerk, and at first, I really liked him. He's fucked up since chapter 1.. so I thought, oooh, no surprises! But I was wrong. He has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. What he did at the end was too cheesy, it actually pissed me off.

Oh, and it was mentioned that Cassie, the main character, was reading The Opportunist! I liked Cassie because she puts herself first and she doesn't tolerate BS.. then I liked her more because she read one of my fave books. I know, pretty shallow reasoning.

I should have stopped there.. with me liking her character. But then, after the WTF events, she accepted Jack like nothing happened, and that's where it went a bit downhill for me.

Clearly, there was a complete 180 degree turn from Cassie's character because it's like I don't know her at all. She started off strong then became almost pathetic towards the latter part of the story.

If a guy who loved me marries another girl for whatever fucked-up logic he has and also for the unborn baby he wasn't 100% sure "his", then leaves the said girl after he found out what a lying, manipulating bitch she really is.. And then goes back to me, groveling.. Well, I wouldn't forgive myself for accepting the guy easily.. much less beg for his attention.

Unfortunately, that's what Cassie did. She welcomed him. JUST LIKE THAT. It was really unrealistic and completely out of character for someone who has serious trust issues.

Anyway, I had a hard time rating this book. At first, I thought this was a "3". But then I realized that despite some inconsistencies found in the book, I really enjoyed reading this. And when I enjoy reading a book, no matter what, it remains a 4 for me. So this should be a 4. But then a part of me didn't feel that 4 is right, so I went back to 3 stars.

So there folks, 3 stars!

But please, don't go running yet. Because if you're looking for a good new adult drama, and you have high tolerance for jerks, you might really like this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Game.

10/20/2012
49.0% "Jack.. Jack.."
10/22/2012
67.0% "Grrr. I hate you Jack Carter."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (KC) (new)

Kristin (KC) Hey girlie! Both books you're currently reading look great. Can't wait to see what you think of them! :)

Airah ♔ Hi Kris! Both books started out really good. I love this genre, new adult! I haven't picked up my nook yet. But I will finish reading this soon. I'm really excited how this one would end up.