Duckpondwithoutducks's Reviews > The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Mystery

The Angel's Kiss by Justin Richards

Oct 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012-fiction-doctorwho
Read in October, 2012

This unique Doctor Who novella is a direct tie-in to The Angels Take Mangattan, episode 5 of Season 7 of Doctor Who. A book featuring Melody Malone is an integral part of that story. But just to clarify, this novella is the events leading up to the beginning of that DW episode that happened to Melody Malone. The novella does not retell the events of the television episode. The novella ends right around the line that the Doctor first reads in the episode:
"My stocking seams were straight, my lipstick was combat-ready, and I was packing cleavage that could fell an ox at twenty feet."
The book really has the 1930's Dashiell Hammett hard-boiled detective novel feel, as can be seen from the first line:
"On some days, New York is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. This was one of the other days."
And like any Doctor Who novel or show, has some good lines:
"I can't help you turn back time. Not without calling in many more favours than I currently have saved up."
"'Mr. Railton,' I said smokily, "Complicated" is my middle name.' Actually, it's not my middle name - any more than Malone is my last name. Whether Melody is really my first name is, well, complicated."
It isn't very long, but the price is very good!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel's Kiss.