Amy's Reviews > The Dogs of Babel

The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn  Parkhurst

Jan 12, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: bookcrossing, books-about-books, good-but-made-me-sad, great-title

I found this book enthralling, but sad. Sad for Paul, sad for Lorelei, and sad for poor, troubled Lexy, who burned so bright and so fast.

I'd marked several places to comment on, but don't think I shall, now. This is a book about language, words, and emotions...and reading the language of a soul.

FROM THE PUBLISHER
When his wife dies in a fall from a tree in their backyard, linguist Paul Iverson is wild with despair. In the days that follow, Paul becomes certain that Lexy's death was no accident. Strange clues have been left behind: unique, personal messages that only she could have left and that he is determined to decipher. So begins Paul's fantastic and even perilous search for the truth, as he abandons his everyday life to embark on a series of experiments designed to teach his dog Lorelei to communicate. Is this the project of a madman? Or does Lorelei really have something to tell him about the last afternoon of a woman he only thought he knew? At the same time, Paul obsessively recalls the early days of his love for Lexy and the ups and downs of life with the brilliant, sometimes unsettling woman who became his wife.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dogs of Babel.

03/24 marked as: read