Rabidreading's Reviews > Destroy Me

Apr 11, 13

bookshelves: ya-dystopian, favorites
Read from January 01, 2012 to January 01, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 2

**Find this and other reviews @ The Demon Librarian**

I can sum up my reaction to Destroy me in two words: HELL YEAH.

For any fan of the Shatter Me series, this novella is an absolute must-read. Told entirely from Warner's POV and picking up right from the cliff we left him at, Destroy Me is a chance to (finally!) get inside the life and mind of the young man we loved to hate in book 1.

The thing is, though, I didn't hate him. I felt like I should, but even at his worst, something about his character spoke to my twisted little soul. Try as I might, I couldn't write him off as just another bad guy.

Destroy Me doesn't wipe Warner's slate entirely clean, but it explains a lot of his actions and choices, and I challenge any of you to read it and not experience even the smallest change of heart about him. He may not win you over completely but he will win something - sympathy, grudging respect, what-have-you. In my case, he earned my full-fledged support.

Yep, that's right. After reading this novella, I am officially a Team Warner girl. No, I am not in any way spitting on the awesomeness that is Adam. I freely admit that Adam is wonderful and a far more sensible (and obvious) love triangle choice, but Warner does it for me in a way Adam can't and never will. He is my favorite type of character, the one with the greatest potential to evolve and surprise me, and I'll be rooting for him right to the end.

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destroy Me.

Quotes Rabidreading Liked

Tahereh Mafi
“Watching her talk to someone else made me crazy. I was jealous. Ridiculous. I wanted her to know me; I wanted her to talk to me. And I felt it then: this strange, inexplicable sense that she might be the only person in the world I could really care about.”

Tahereh Mafi
“She is a soft, deadly creature. Kind and timid and terrifying. She's completely out of control and has no idea what she's capable of. And even though she hates me, I can't help but be fascinated by her. I'm enchanted by her pretend-innocence; jealous, even, of the power she wields so unwittingly. I want so much to be a part of her world. I want to know what it's like to be in her mind, to feel what she feels. It seems a tremendous weight to carry.
And now she's out there, somewhere, unleashed on society.
What a beautiful disaster.”

“And I've fallen.

So hard.

I've hit the ground. Gone right through it. Never in my life have I felt this. Nothing like this. I've felt shame and cowardice, weakness and strength. I've known terror and indifference, self-hate and general disgust. I've seen things that cannot be unseen.

And yet I've known nothing like this terrible, horrible, paralyzing feeling. I feel crippled. Desperate and out of control. And it keeps getting worse. Every day I feel sick. Empty and somehow aching.

Love is a heartless bastard.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I almost forget that she still hates me, despite how hard I've fallen for her.
And I've fallen.