Joel's Reviews > Korea: A Walk Through the Land of Miracles

Korea by Simon Winchester
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Korea.

message 1: by Gloria (new)

Gloria A few years ago, my family drove around Korea. It is a beautiful country that has been relatively unaffected by the Western world. If you ever get the chance to travel there, you should.

message 2: by Joel (new) - added it

Joel Korea is somewhere I've always wanted to visit. I have enough frequent flyer miles to take an international trip and Korea is a likely candidate for those miles to be put to use. It probably won't happen for a few years, but it is somewhere I have my sights set on.

message 3: by Gloria (new)

Gloria You should go, it is beautiful. Just some friendly advice, they don't know a lot of english there, especially in the rural areas. Start learning your Korean.

message 4: by Joel (new) - added it

Joel After my trip to Greece last summer, I'm thinking English isn't nearly as widespread anywhere as we are told to generally assume (maybe it's true for Western Europe?) None of the ticket agents for the national railway at the Athens station spoke English when I was there. If I hadn't studied up on some Greek in advance, I would've been in trouble (especially considering I went to some really out of the way places.) At least I know a good place to get some CDs/DVDs to learn Korean when the time comes. :)