Alain's Reviews > Flora Segunda

Flora Segunda by Ysabeau S. Wilce

Jan 11, 09

This was a very strange book for me. When I feel like giving up a book because of plain bad writing (as was the case for every Tom Clancy boo I've tried to read) I abandon it after about ten or twelve pages. When I feel like giving up a book because the style doesn't suit me (like the last Harry Potter novel) I usually abandon at around fifty pages. It's also the same fifty page mark for books which don't have enough imagination or science fiction or fantasy in them, as is the case with nearly all Anne McCaffrey novels and Marion Zimmer Bradley novels (she's a top notch editor though and I love all her "Sword and Sorceress" anthologies) I've tried to read in the past.

But to get to the point, I felt, for the first time, like I absolutely had to abandon this book at the 100 page mark or so. It was suddenly as if the author had changed her personality completely. Up to then the setting, the action and the characters had been perfectly plausible, perfectly rational within the well established rules of an alternate pre-industrial world where magic was used, within limited boundaries. I went on reading anyway, groaning at the implausible new characters and the odd changes in the environment. Things evened out a bit but in the end I was still left wondering why Ysabeau Wilce had done such a trick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flora Segunda.