Leila's Reviews > Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

Oct 09, 12

This book is a gem. The main character Bernadette is intensely appealing to me; she is rapier sharp witted, the humor is irascible yet fundamentally true, and there is an on going schism between whether her supposedly eccentric, anxiety ridden take on life is "crazy" or so scarily accurate that it is the rest of the world that is crazy & not her. This book unfolds with a series of hilarious emails from the assorted characters peopling Bernadette's life; from the intrusive, managing neighbor who is also a parent at Bernadette's daughter's school (and who over eagerly inserts her devout albeit earth mother inspired Christianity into every conversation) to the laugh out loud drones & slaves to IT Microsoft culture, & the ambitious recruitment specialist at her daughter's school looking to sell it to prospective "Mercedes parents not Subaru parents." The character renderings here are so spot on that you will recognize versions of people you know and interact with almost at every turn. Bernadette's daughter as narrator might not work in another book by another author because it could become very precious and twee, but Bee, the daughter is extremely relateable, existing in the story as a child yet maintaining an adult voice. As it unfolds, we learn that the big event triggering Bernadette's reclusive lifestyle, agoraphobic tendencies & anxious habits was a professional disaster in her early career as a genius architect & winner of a MacArthur grant. The ending has an adventure where Bee & her father end up taking a cruise to Antarctica retracing Bernadette's route before she disappears, and has enough light suspense to keep you guessing until the very end whether they will find her or not. I loved the characters and my measure of a good book is whether they stay with me after Ive read it with the vast amount that I read. These guys will & I am happy to whole heartedly recommend!!
21 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where'd You Go, Bernadette.

message 1: by Bas (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bas I just started it last night and already like it a lot! Thanks for the recommendation!

Leila Yes, I enjoyed it and thought it very smart & funny. What do you think of her neighbor?

message 3: by Bas (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bas I DESPISE her neighbor! But I also "know" her neighbor...don't you? Hahaha...

Leila Heh yup I do...I liked all the ways you could totally recognize types in real life. That it was snarky and mocking yet not mean or nasty.

message 5: by Bas (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bas Are you as amazed as I am by the author's creativity?

Leila YES, thats why I wrote such a glowing review!!! Remember, I read this like a year ago and tried to tell you then or whatever. I really liked it, I loved Bernadette, I even liked her father.

message 7: by Bas (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bas Remember I tried to get the book when you first recommended it, and for some reason that didn't happen...but I did read her other book!