Lyuba's Reviews > Princess of the Silver Woods

2251973
Oct 31, 12

bookshelves: arc, net-galley
Read from October 04 to 07, 2012

When I requested this title on NetGalley, I had no idea this book was the last one in the series. I started to suspect that after getting into the book and wondering why didn't I know all the characters that were suddenly popping up or being mentioned. I felt somewhat lost, not enough to not enjoy the book, but just enough to feel constantly annoyed in the back of my mind.

Being somewhat lost wasn't the only thing that bothered me. There were just too many characters, and because of that, none of them were really developed. Yes, writing a book about 12 princesses plus their husbands/love interests and another whole bunch of villains, while making everyone into a well rounded characters is hard, but I was still hoping for something more. Every character got maybe a line of so at the time, even Petunia and Oliver. Heck, I was pretty disappointed in Petunia and Oliver because of their insta-love that sprung up out of nowhere. Everyone also shrieked too much, cried too much, and just overall acted like damsels in distress. I would have thought that after the same thing happening to these princesses before, they would grow a little bit accustomed to it and be more in control. Yes, Petunia did at the very end, but that just wasn't enough for me because I didn't get to know her as well as I hoped I would. I'm not sure if it was because I haven't read the first two book, or because of the general lack of development to her character.

I was also getting tired of the constant repetition. She is one of the nine daughters of Russaka! Oh no, the duchess is one of the nine daughters! She can't be one of the nine daughters of Russaka. The king of Russaka had nine daughters. And on and on it went, including the twelve daughters and twelve princess. I wanted to scream that I got it, I got that they are all either nine or twelve, just stop repeating it!

I wanted to know more about the villains too. Just like the good guys, they also suffered from the two dimensional syndrome. There was an attempt to give a little more dimension to some of them, but it wasn't enough to really understand them. And I like to understand my villains, because a lot of times they end up being just as interesting as the heroes.

The writing felt a little simplistic, but it moved along nicely. Overall it wasn't a bad book and I think I would have enjoyed a lot more had I read the previous two. I think fans of the series would find the conclusion pretty satisfying, although I still had some questions left.

Disclosure: An ARC of this book was provided to me by Bloomsbury Children's Books via NetGalley. This rating, review, and all included thoughts and comments are my own.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Silver Woods.

10/05/2012
41.0% "So I requested this book not realizing it was the last in a series... until I looked on goodreads after wondering why did I feel like I was missing a lot of back story, and not knowing the characters that Petunia talked so casually about (and like everyone already met them)."
10/07/2012
88.0% "Too much shrieking all around ."

message 1: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie Thanks for the review, I requested this on NG too and didn't realize it was the last book in a series... booo. Now I don't know what to do :(

message 2: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy It was lack of character development.