Julie Davis's Reviews > Praying with Saint Mark's Gospel

Praying with Saint Mark's Gospel by Peter John Cameron

Nov 29, 12

Read from October 20, 2011 to November 29, 2012

I found the previous Magnificat books, Praying with St. Paul's Letters and Praying with Saint Matthew's Gospel, very good ways of meditating on a line of scripture daily. It forced me to think about those books in a way I hadn't before. This book is having the same effect and I recommend it highly.

Truly insightful essays go line by line through Mark. Each of the different authors either reminds me of what I knew but hadn't thought of for a while OR brings up something that hadn't occurred to me. I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to think about the Gospel of Mark a line or two at a time. Highly recommended

I do tend to read these books a bit "out of order" in order to fall in line with the Church's liturgical year. Otherwise I wind up reading about The Passion during Advent, etc. which definitely puts me in a weird mindset so I prefer to read that bit during Lent. So I begin the book when the Church's year begins, about a month ahead of the January-December thinking of the writers. Then I stop reading progressively during Lent, at which point I skip to the November and December readings which takes me nicely through Lent and into Easter for the passion, resurrection and ascension.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Praying with Saint Mark's Gospel.

10/10/2012 page 297
77.0% "3/4 of a year after beginning it, this remains as good as ever. I haven't been dedicated about reading it every day, but go in and out of reading it. Nonetheless, when I do, there is meditative gold there."
show 1 hidden update…