Annie's Reviews > Which Lie Did I Tell?: More Adventures in the Screen Trade

Which Lie Did I Tell? by William Goldman

Jan 11, 09

Read in January, 2009

I want to write a screenplay.

I want to be friends with William Goldman, author of The Princess Bride and this awesome book! He has the most delightfully conversational style. This book gets pretty technical, but I like that. I don't know if a non-writer would enjoy it quite so much, but maybe if he or she just skipped over the advice in grey, it would be just a book full of dirt on a screenwriter's adventures in Hollywood (among other places.)

This is apparently a sequel, but here are the movies he worked on that he writes about: Memoirs of an Invisible Man; The Princess Bride; Misery; The Year of the Comet [to which he adds "(Alas)"; Maverick; The Ghost and the Darkness; and Absolute Power. He also writes about other people's movies that work and why they do, including: There's Something About Mary; When Harry Met Sally; North By Northwest; Chinatown; and Fargo. The third and fourth sections get more into analyzing writing and technique. My fiancee gave up on the final section, about very first drafts and script doctoring, but I found that really fascinating and inspiring.

I think I am going to reread this, pretty soon even. And I am not kidding about writing that screenplay, guys.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Which Lie Did I Tell?.