Kristen's Reviews > Little (Grrl) Lost

Little (Grrl) Lost by Charles de Lint

Jan 15, 09

bookshelves: 2009, fantasy, magical-realism, teen, urban-fantasy
Read in January, 2009

Ehh, this one was okay. I think it was written towards a much younger teen audience than some of De Lint's other teen fiction. Maybe more for tweens than teens. At least, it seemed so this time. Maybe I'm just being especially mature today. I doubt it, though. =)

Today, I was a little irked by the idyllic family TJ's is. Sure, they have issues, but it seemed like he was trying too hard to make the teens in the family be understanding and not get mad at their parents. TJ was entirely too rational. *I* was a rational teen and I still would have made a much bigger issue over, well, everything than she did. It was as though De Lint was trying really hard to send the message that teens can be mad at their folks without hating them, and that you can move without ruining your life. While that is true, most younger teens aren't going to acknowledge that if they're truly pissed about it. If he wants to actually get that message across to real teens, I think he should not make TJ so serene. She WAS a goody-two-shoes. Even I wanted to kick her ass. No one likes a wet blanket.

Elizabeth was fun, but she, too, was too unbelievable as a teen. She had more attitude going, which was good. But there was just something off about her, in my mind. Almost like she was too responsible, even though that's not exactly it either. I can't really put my finger on it. But it didn't sit quite right.

While I enjoyed this book well enough, I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't already familiar with Charles De Lint's work. If this had been the first book of his I read, I probably wouldn't have bothered reading any more, which would be a shame as he is really a wonderful author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little (Grrl) Lost.