Pearl's Reviews > Christmas Jars

Christmas Jars by Jason F. Wright

Jan 11, 09

Read in January, 2009

This is more proof that a bestseller list tells you diddly squat about how good a book is going to be. The same lists that produce legitimately awesome fare like The Kite Runner can also get you overly saccharine flops like Christmas Jars. Now, I like me some tearjerkers, but this book left me completely dry. Not once was I moved by this predictable, trite story, about a journalist who discovers a “mysterious” trend of people anonymously leaving jars full of money to those in need around Christmas time. Problem is: The actual origins of the jars really aren’t all that mysterious or remotely “life-changing,” and by the time you get to the magically convenient Hollywood ending, you’ve been hit over the head by blatantly Christian themes – ranging from the sacrificial underpinnings of the jars to a significant male character named Adam. (Unsurprisingly, the author Jason Wright is Mormon and has contributed to FoxNews.) Please, leave the wholesome tearjerkers to Nicholas Sparks.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas Jars.

Steve Sorenson Wow, one of the most ignorant reviews I've seen in awhile. Does the author's religion really matter unless it's politically correct to make fun of that particular religion?
Covey is Mormon and 7 Habits is a best seller. You should stay away from that one too. There's Christian themes in that one too. However, they're considered Universal truths
Also, stay away from Chronicles of Narnia. There's Christian themes in that one and we don't need you making fun of Mr Lewis' religion but I'm sure they went over your head
My favorite was your complaint that the book contained Christian themes. You didn't realize the book was called "Christmas Jars?"

Pearl Thanks I will do my share of avoiding then! :) The problem isn't so much that it is Christian, but that it is marketed as some holiday story that is open to people of all faiths. You've proven my point that this book caters to a very specific (and self-righteously 'universal') audience.

Steve Sorenson Sorry I haven't even read the book yet. I don't understand why you have to single out anyone's religion
My reference to 7 Habits is that they are universal truths and not tied to any one particular religion. The exact opposite of self- righteousness
I realize your review was five years ago so you should re-read it-- you bashed a book for having "Christian" themes. You did see the book was called "Christmas Jars"--- what did you expect?

Steve Sorenson I realize you read it five years ago but you should re-read your review You complained about Christian themes. You did see the title was "Christmas Jars" I hope. What themes were you expecting?

message 5: by Pearl (last edited Dec 11, 2014 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Pearl I believe what I wrote was "blatantly Christian." Some books, like Narnia or Life of Pi, are able to be enjoyed even if you aren't Christian--you read however much religion into it you want. Not quite possible in Christmas Jars. It was too obvious what the author was trying to push here (and yes it was one single religion). It all just screams hamfisted. If I wanted to pick up a Bible allegory, I would've gone to the faith section of a bookstore. Not all Christmas books have to be this Sunday-schoolish.
Why don't you try reading it and decide for yourself?

Pearl Oh and themes? Redemption. The kindness of strangers. The power of family. The spirit of giving. All stuff that could be in a "Christmas"/holiday book. Was just looking for an uplifting story, not to be told what to believe in.

Steve Sorenson I just finished the book. You either didn't read it or just have an agenda against one religion. The book does not hit you over the head with blatant Christian themes as you claim. Nor does it promote any one religion. By the way, Adam is from the Old Testament, hardly limited to Christian faiths. Christ's birth is mentioned in one paragraph but after all it is a Christmas book and you should have expected more since Christmas is the celebration of Christ's birth and you could tell by the cover this book wasn't about Santa or Frosty. You should re-read the book All the themes you requested are in there (Can't believe you missed them which is why I don't think you read it)
"Redemption. The kindness of strangers. The power of family. The spirit of giving."

Although the origin of the jars was not mysterious, it did show how one person can affect so many others with the spirit of giving ( one of your requested themes) The book did have the typical Hollywood ending but did not tell you what to believe in other than the inherent good of humanity-- the uplifting story you missed by being too concerned about the author's religion.

Pearl I don't think I even thought to look up what religion this author was until I READ this book. You seem to have an agenda on defending a religion -- and making assumptions on what others should or should not have gotten out of it.

I don't have much of an interest on discussing religion on this site or with you though, so if you choose to see my review as biased or misinformed, please feel free. :) For me, it's just a book. For you, maybe more. That's where I'll leave it. Thanks and Good bye!