AdultFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > The Casual Vacancy

Mar 22, 13

Read from October 03 to 15, 2012

TCL Call #: F Rowling J

Madeleine - 5 stars
Weird to have such disparity in the reviews.
When I first started reading this I had ill bodings. A book about small town politics? What a yawn. But lo and behold, it turned out to be a book that I stayed up past bedtime to read one more chapter - and I cannot even explain to you why.
This book would definitely fall into Marisa's From the Back of the Stacks radio program (http://tclib.org/index.php/books/audi...) where she asks if it's possible to like a book and hate its characters. Yes! I did not like ANY of the characters. They were small and petty and too too familiar and yet I constantly wondered what would happen next to them. The adults were as awful as the teens and yet their stories drew me in.
I think Rowling has an amazing way to tell the small stories. The ones you never read about in books but are the most recognizable.

Dimmie's rating: 1 star
I too was disappointed with this book. It lacked the imagination of the Harry Potter books and the character development was very dry. I did not finish reading the book but waded through 100 pages. I had no curiosity to go on.

Julia's Rating: 1 star
I am disappointed to say that J.K. Rowling's latest publication was a rather dreadful read. I vacillated between giving it one star or two and decided on one because really and truly I didn't much like this book. And, I certainly would not hurry to recommend that anyone else read it.

I did, in fact, read the book in all its 500 pages. So there's that. But, if it were not for the fact that J.K. Rowling has undeniable talent, then I would have stopped reading around page 200.

The problem's not the writing so much as what the writing's about - the characters are so unappealing, the plot so unexciting. It's as if Rowling sought to conjure up people at their most small-minded, petty, selfish, weak-willed and gossipy. It's a hyperbolic caricature of the Durselys of 4 Privet Drive - Muggles to the max.

I'll grant that Rowling presented no pretense that this book would be stepping into the same - or even a distantly related - realm of magic as the Harry Potter series. But, frankly, real life has more magic than "The Casual Vacancy" allows.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Casual Vacancy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

AdultFiction Teton County Library I totally agree with Julia's review. Not only was I disappointed, I did not read all of the book.