AdultNonFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > The End of Normal

The End of Normal by Stephanie Madoff Mack

TCL Call #: 364.163 MACK S

Julia's Rating: 2 Stars
I will admit (not proudly) that I picked this book up with a mix of US Weekly-style curiosity and New York Times-style need-to-know. I was hoping there might be some revelation I had not read in my pretty consistent following of the unfolding of events related to Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme tragedy/travesty.

This book was written by the wife of Madoff's eldest son, Mark. She is, sadly, Mark's widow now, since he committed suicide on the second anniversary of his father's arrest. Her story is - or should be - a riveting one, but this telling is not particularly enlightening. Perhaps it speaks more to the intrusive nature of the current media, but Madoff Mack didn't offer me much more than I had already found from following the story and seeing the photos of the family.

I didn't end up reading the book cover to cover. Instead, I read the beginning and end of most chapters; skimmed for elements, like conversations with Bernie or Ruth, that interested me; and then looked at the photo section in the middle. This reading, in fact, is quite similar to how I approach reading US Weekly. Judge me as you see fit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Normal.