Anagha's Reviews > The Color of Grace

The Color of Grace by Linda Kage

Oct 05, 12

Recommended to Anagha by: Linda Kage
Read from October 10 to 13, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

“Hey, where are you going?" His voice, confused yet curious, called after me. "Hey. Why didn't your mother name you Maybe, or We'll see, or What's-Your-Number? That way, we could call our first born Absolutely.”

“I was a rule-follower. I obeyed all forms of authority. I had never before encountered a situation where the authority was clearly wrong and I had to stand up for what was right.”

"I'm never one, distinct color but a dichotomy of dark and bright. The hues follow me, reflecting my mood, displaying every tone and shade I feel. I can breathe in red and exhale blue, or swim in green and dry as a rainbow. It all depends on how I choose to react to every shadow and light beam headed my way. "

"Holy Hosanna"

There are a few times I feel like the narration of The Color of Grace is very close to reality, but these times are few and far between. Most of the time, this doesn't seem like a contemporary novel at all since the romance and much of the action had no likeness to reality. I suppose part of the reason I had a hard time connecting with this novel is because Grace's new "friends" (who she doesn't much like either) are the typical popular group - the peppy, superficial kids who just crave attention and actively drink and create peer pressure. Now, if this was a story about the nerd herd, my feelings would be significantly different... As it is, I kind of felt sorry for Grace because she's participating in all these nightly hangouts she's not even comfortable in - for what? A cute boy she's known for two days? The whole plot is just this side of ridiculous.

**I'm going to go on a long rant here**
And all this Facebook stuff has to described in such detail. *GAH* I really couldn't care less who friended you, who's writing on your wall, or even what video games you're playing with your group and how you're faring in each of them. Unnecessary detail, my friend. Hugely unimportant to the story. And, okay Grace. Once you found out Ryder wasn't evil enough to flirt with you while dating another girl, wouldn't it be easier to just say "Hey, Ryder, sure, I like you too. Let's hang out"? No, you HAVE to go the roundabout, angsty way that no real guy would bother to go for a girl? Why? Why??
**Rant over... sorta**

Sometimes, Grace can be very perceptive such as when she creates her diary entries for her project reflecting on which color she is that particular day. Other times, she can be overdramatic and downright mean, especially when it comes to her mother. Although that is closer to reality than many MCs, Grace's flaws make it difficult for me to connect with her and sometimes, I just want to conk her over the head for what she says (or thinks). Case in point: when she gets a beautiful rose necklace from her stepfather and her mother gets angry and jealous (why?), instead of talking it out, she turns spiteful and rage-y. She goes so far as to say, "She was probably feeling self-conscious because Barry hadn’t given her anything sparkly to wrap around her own wrinkly, old throat.". How could she think that about her own mother? This is not even an age-old fight - the two only began to argue after Mom marries Barry, the new stepdad. Which is like two weeks. Before that, they were the best of friends. I've gotten an explanation as to why they started arguing so much, but with a previously wonderful mother-daughter relationship, the reason was VERY hard to believe. Loving moms don't just suddenly turn on their kids like that.

Another thing I don't really understand - if the author had made a conscious effort to make the protagonist believable, why not do the same for the love interest? No, he's gotta be Mr. Perfect. He's sweet, intelligent, funny, loving, and super emotional/vulnerable (not to mention hawt). I love his nature but guys like that are never present in real life, which alternately makes me want to weep and throw things!

My favorite part(s) of the novel were the little diary entries at the beginning of each chapter - they were so insightful and took you right into what Grace was feeling before the particular chapter even began! Truly enjoyable to read. The gorgeous prose with which those entries were written makes me think Linda would probably write amazing nonfiction essays.

All in all, The Color of Grace just contained too much angst for me: angst that could all have easily been sorted out if people were honest and believing with each other. When I read a contemporary book like this one, I want the characters to experience something emotionally (or even physically devastating (that sounds cruel, now that I think about it), and then learn an important life lesson, teaching it to me in the process. What did I learn here? Trust my gut? Love is sweet?

Try Similar Books
Speechless

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Color of Grace.

Quotes Anagha Liked